Friday, April 3, 2015

A cakeish journey and DIY crafts

Yes, I can be crafty. Paint walls. Knit whatever. Do DIY’s. Does that mean they turn out great? Not necessarily. I typically will start 3,000 crafts at one time and end up abandoning them because I lose interest.


Except when it comes to food-related things.


I started baking when I was 8, and ended up heading to culinary school 6 months after I graduated high school. I was already baking wedding cakes at 18 years old (and to be fair, I had only been 18 for 4 days when I crafted my first cake), but my love for food grew into a passion that I cultivated with discipline and many late nights. After devouring numerous culinary textbooks, being endlessly obsessed with plating, and having earned several nicknames around both school and work, that journey was over. Far too soon, I might admit.


But just because school was over didn’t mean the fun was. Since I’m married and the mistress of my own household, I can cook whatever-the-heck so pleases me. Basically, a dream come true.


But about the cakes.


I’d spare you the picture of my first fondant cake, but it’s a great comparison to how far I’ve come in just 4 years. Back in 2011, this took me 3 hours to decorate. Sad, right?


376592_244839778902934_1743624850_n Not to mention the lack of quality or any photography expertise. Yeesh.


And 4 years later, at 21 years of age, this is where I’m at.


11124500_448064478692261_7710733071534601145_n (More details on this cake here.)


So, you could say that I’ve come a long way from that little fondant cake. I’ve done 3-D sculpted cakes, fondant cakes, all-buttercream cakes, and everything else under the sun. I’m not famous by any means, but that’s fine by me. I enjoy creating something from nothing, and the way folk’s faces light up when they see their vision in all its edible goodness. But the way I see it, I have longer yet to go. And I’m looking forward to every sweet, sprinkly, gold-dusted bit of it.






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1FrBADF

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment