Monday, April 20, 2015

Second Update and DIY crafts

This weekend I decided to try and fix a few minor things and was only mildly successful. The goals were to find a sway bar link, glove box latch and fuel cap cover at the local junk yard. After about 30 minutes of searching we managed to find all three things. The sway bar link was simple enough to find and remove even though it wasn’t in the best condition. It seems that every single Galant had the glove box removed and the latch was gone. Luckily, we found a single latch all the way in the back of the yard. The fuel cap cover was a perfect fit for the the Galant, it was black and in good condition, unfortunately, I managed to break it while trying to remove it. I did, however, find another cover, but its white so it will require sanding and painting. While leaving the yard I discovered that the worn sway bar link costs almost three times more than advertised online, even though the cashier was listing it as the wrong item (as I pointed out to him), he still tried to rip me off so I left it there.

We left the yard with a new fuel cap cover, glove box latch and Galant owners manual which I found in great condition among the fresher vehicles. When I started to install the new glove box latch I noticed that it too was broken. I am currently trying to make a working latch out of the two broken ones I have now, but managed to cut my thumb pretty well in the process so I’ve put that on hold.

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Broken Glove Box Latch

2003 Mitsubishi Galant Broken Glove Box Latch

This is how far I got before I cut myself..

This is how far I got before I cut myself..

Expedient Bandage. One part Rubbing Alcohol, one part paper towel and one part duct tape.

Expedient Bandage. One part Rubbing Alcohol, one part paper towel and one part duct tape.

The fuel cap cover fits and works great, but its an off color. Thats nothing a little sand paper and paint wont fix though.

Here's what it looked like before.

Here’s what it looked like before.

Here's what it looks like after the new cover..

Here’s what it looks like after the new cover..

And the inside..

And the inside..

I also managed to do a quick alignment with using the string method. It helped slightly, but there is still a light pull to the right. I will give it another shot sometime this week. I also noticed a rattle coming from the drivers side front wheel, it may be the other lower ball joint.

Results:

  • Cost of Parts: $15
  • Hours of Labor: 3 Hours = $45
  • Total: $60


from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1zB7edr
from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment