Thursday, April 2, 2015

Toothpick Fairy House- Tutorial and DIY crafts

20150402_141631-2


This is what exam-fever makes me do! I can come up with the most irrelevant (to studying) ideas at this time.


So I thought of fairies. And came across beautiful fairy-gardens on Pinterest. Pinterest is my major excuse for not studying, by the way. So. Fairy gardens. And from thereon to all kinds of miniatures. I suddenly desperately want a fairy garden in my dorm room. I am sure I will get around to one sometime this month, but it all starts off with a teeny-tiny fairy-house for me. I did not want to use paper for the base since I intend to eventually place it in real mud, probably damp mud, and want it to weather well.


It struck me that wood would be awesome for these projects. I have no easy access to it (yes, I live away from civilisation). So, I was excited when I noticed the toothpicks on my shelf and this idea struck.


images


I first broke the toothpicks to about two-thirds of their size for the larger house, and half for the smaller one, then I stuck them together. Just use white glue and stick a few toothpicks together, as many as you like. The larger house is a little more cylindrical. The top is made by rolling thick textured paper into a small cone, made with a square bit of paper around 2 square inches. On it I stuck the remaining one-third broken toothpick pieces. you could use tiny rhinestones, or moss, or just leave it papered. I then used acrylic paints, turquoise and yellow to give it the speckled look. The roof of the smaller house is made by using a square inch of the same heavy paper and folding it diagonally once by joining the corners, and then doing it again by joining the opposite corners. It gets those triangular folds you can see.20150401_192320


While the final product looks a little intricate, the details all depend on you. I used small wooden beads to make the windows. 20150402_223039The door is made on both by using cotton twine on white glue, below the window. The white door is framed with burnished gold. I used gold acrylic paint after painting the borders of the door with a watered down black acrylic coat. The knob on the door is made with 3-D gold acrylic paint. The whole door is painted with black, and then gold on the smaller house door.20150402_140821-1


The best part. I wondered what to do to make it more enchanting, elf/fairy-like. I have no access to moss in the dorm room (thank goodness). While sipping my green tea, I got a second brainwave. Use the cut-leaf green tea instead of moss to decorate the houses and give it a more woodsy feeling! So I used what was left of the tea in the strainer and stuck it on the body of the larger house and the roof of the smaller house using white glue (I love that stuff). Broken bits of toothpicks decorate the roof of the smaller house also.20150402_140843-1


I love how these came out, so mossy and green and fairy-ish, and can’t wait to build myself a miniature garden real soon so I can add these there :D






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1MHrVQf

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment