Monday, February 15, 2016

How To Boost Your Milk Supply

Breastfeeding is hard. When you make the decision to breast feed your child, I didn’t worry about mastitis, milk supply, latching issues (well, I didn’t at least).

So here are some things that did wonders for my milk supply, and maybe someday I will make an updated version if I find more great tricks, but this is what I’ve learned so far:

#1 Fennel essential oil (the one I use): This oil was given to me by my breastfeeding sister-in-law at my baby shower. She loves essential oils, and now so do I. It can  be taken orally by putting a little under your tongue or in water, but I prefer to rub a little above my breasts.

#2 Oatmeal: Oatmeal is great to eat when breastfeeding. I eat oatmeal for breakfast probably about three times a week with milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, flaxseed, and coconut oil (my next two)

#3 Flaxseed: Really all nuts and seeds are great for nursing because they offer great nutrients for you and your little one. Flaxseed is great because it really doesn’t have any flavor (at least I don’t think so). I put it in smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, and cereal.

#4 Coconut oil (I use unrefined, virgin/extra virgin, USDA organic): Coconut is probably one of my most beloved products..ever. Coconut oil boosts milk supply and gives you Lauric and capric acid (acids that protect the immune systems) to mommy and babies with super sensitive immune systems. Another plus is putting it on your nipples when they are dry or cracked.

#5 Pumping/nursing: The more you pump/nurse, the more your body will be taught to produce. I like to pump after my little man goes to bed to gather up some extra supply in case of emergencies and to increase my supply. Nursing on demand is also a plus, if you baby is hungry, give them the delicious milk you make just for them.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1VhTa3U
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment