Friday, February 5, 2016

pumping?

As a second time breastfeeding mother, I am a lot more knowledgeable and more trusting of my body than I was as a first time mother.

With my first baby, I was so worried about how much I was producing and how much he was getting. I thought to myself often, can I really sustain a tiny human from only my milk? Really?

Why did I think like that? Is it because formula companies advertise so subversively that I didn’t realise they were telling my milk was not good enough for him by itself? Is it because everyone I knew told me that I should add rice cereal to a bottle to make him sleep or to move to formula because it was easier? (But is it actually easier? Because I couldn’t imagine having to make up formula in the middle of the night.)

I don’t know why I thought I wasn’t enough. Because I am enough. You are enough for your baby.

_______

I was born in the US but raised in England for my formative years and I spent my preteen/teen years in the States. I moved back to England when I was 19. I had my first baby at 25 in England. And I just had my second baby at 27 in the US.

In England, pumping is not really done. It’s becoming more popular now, but it wasn’t really a thing among fellow British mums at Mummy & Me groups that I attended with my older one. (If they were even breastfeeding at all, but that’s a story for another day!)

I had married an American by the time I had my older one and it is a thing in the US because of having such short maternity leave I think. But even the advice of Lactation Consultants says that you don’t need to have a ‘stash’ to return to work. You only need enough for the first day you are separated. Because on your days at work you pump for subsequent days, which is logical. The pumping ‘obsession’ seems to be based in illogical thinking.

So why, then, do women in the US start pumping from the very start to build this stash? Is it because they were like me and wanted to know that they were making enough?  Is it because they are being failed by their doctors? Is it that they aren’t gaining weight rapidly? Is it because no one has told them they don’t need to have a freezer full of milk to feed their baby?

The issues that come with pumping from the very beginning is that a mum can get engorged and uncomfortable which can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis. Pumping output isn’t indicative of supply either, so even though you’re pumping 3oz a session, you might not be emptying the breast and there could be more. Baby is more efficient at extracting milk anyway.

I feel like a lot of women are being failed by the health care professionals that they see on a regular basis. Is the pediatrician using the right growth chart? (Look here.) Does the baby have tongue tie or lip tie that is causing the baby not to transfer milk efficiently?

Why do we just listen to everything the doctor says? Most of them aren’t trained in breastfeeding best practice. If they were, there would be no need for Lactation Consultants or peer counselors.

_____

I do think that most of the fault lies within the system. Advertising makes us doubt that we can sustain our tiny humans; doctors make us feel like we are doing everything incorrectly; Lactation Consultants aren’t free and most often aren’t covered by insurance; we can get formula for free from programs like WIC. They give formula for free in hospitals here, too. That boggles my mind. There are only 326 Baby Friendly Initiative certified hospitals in the USA. That is not a lot.

If we are going to improve breastfeeding rates and empower women to trust themselves, we have to help them realise that they can sustain a human. They were made to do it. We have to arm them with consistent and helpful advice. We have to use the right tools. We have to do better.

Know better, do better.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1RaqkTP
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment