Thursday, May 11, 2017

Being pregnant in Amsterdam

Wow  it happened, just when i thought it is impossible anymore. I took my early pregnancy test from etos before a business dinner ( to decide to drink or not) and had my first zero percent beer that day!

Luckily there are many non alcoholic beverages  in Holland : beer,even wines sparkling wines  ! Best wine i tried is from wines and roses 

The next day I learnt the word verloskunden -midwifery. I put that word in google maps and chose the most closest clinic to my house and called them. Astrid Limburg asked me to come 4 weeks later, 8th week. That was like a long year to me ;)

Second place to learn was echo praktijk . I found an echo center ,again typed it in google maps and went to the nearest one to have an early scan. Mostly midwifery has it own connection with an echo praktijk but I focused  on going nearby my home.
IMG_0470

 

But well that doesn’t mean nothing surprises;)

1- During my first appointment I gave a lot of blood samples. It was a very hot day and they gave me tubes afterwards asking me to take it to post office , this was a learning again . Do it yourself ! Dutch way :)

2- communication of test results:

One of the key things is not to be called , because they don”t call you for your results if the results are ok ;) very efficient !

A big portion of the births are at home in Holland. Not mine. In my case which I have had a c section in my first delivery, I was treated as a special case. After 36th week I was transferred to clinical midwifery in the hospital.  It was the only thing I criticised in Dutch system > I had to leave my midwifery I was in contact for 7 months and started to go to hospital . On top of it they were not allowed to come for the delivery.

Third important word was kramzorg !

At my 15 th week i registered myself to kramzorg Mamma Mia – my future right hand when I am back from hospital . I had an introduction meeting with them on week 32.  Here I strongly suggest to use insurance company’s listed kramzorg.

I went to hospital after my water broke and contractions started to be regular. When we went to hospital they checked carefully baby’s heart beat and my contractions. All people were so friendly, so professional.

I felt so secure to be with them> So all negative stories I heard were b..ls..t!

Later they took me into a room where all equipments for natural birth was already located. It was very nice not to be driven into a delivery room while having contractions

After 24 hours long and tiring and very emotional experience we had our second son in our arms. It was a real team effort with my husband, 2 midwifes & nurses and our lovely midwife intern Marieke

 

The final surprise was to be sent home  3 hours later because well everything was ok ..

IMG_0469

Sounds a bit scary but never worry because as much as we were sarp was also very very tired  so he slept all the night and the next day i called our kramzorg at 8 :00 and she arrived at 9 o’clock For 7 days we got a very professional support from 2 ladies in a row On the 7th day kramzorg accompanied me to sarphatipark . There I was back outside walking with my baby after a whole week at home struggling to manage my new life

IMG_0473

In Netherlands there is lactation consultancy. After 2 weeks when I was about to worry about my milk is enough or not my midwife advised me to call her

I really recommend this. Ina encouraged me and taught how to hold the baby and how my posture should be during feeding and gave me a lot of tips.

And here I am mother of 2 sons > Busy with diapers , feeding calendars

All in all being pregnant in Amsterdam was nice and relaxed  ;))



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2pD5a60
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment