Monday, September 3, 2018

i think my boobs are broken (part two)

I wasn’t giving up (and boy did I want to)! We went to a (I felt expensive) lactation consultant and I went to a breastfeeding peer group. It was always the same.  Jude would latch perfectly with the consultant around but on our own it just never seemed to work for us. I remembered that my cousin had told me about her experience with La Leche League when she found out I was having trouble breastfeeding. Four months (why did it take me that long?!?! cause I’m an idiot) in I remembered and I was like “let’s try that, why not?!” Can I just say what a wonderful group of people. Mama’s mainly but Bry wasn’t the only dad there. It was awesome and Jude latched. I wasn’t in pain either, but by then my breast milk was getting low and Jude was getting hungrier. He would get so upset when he didn’t get enough milk (we always carried a spare formula bottle around). Guys, he’s so freakin’ cute when he’s upset. I know that sounds mean, but it’s true.

**Note to new mama’s – If  you have trouble breastfeeding look into your local La Leche League meeting. Especially before you spend money on consultants that we’re supposed to be covered under your health insurance. Supposed to be…**

Jude was officially a bottle feed baby! Formula and breast milk at bedtime. I would sometimes feel embarrassed mixing formula and giving him a bottle in public and/or around family. No one ever made me feel bad, well, not intentionally. It was just my own personal thorn in my side. I continued pumping every few 3-4 hours, but after six months I was SO over it. [The husband felt it was important for me to include here that when I say I was pumping every 3-4 hours this includes in the middle of the night. Yep, I’d wake up to pump. Plus feeding a cute screaming infant when he’d wake up hungry. These events did not always happen simultaneously, luckily I could always count on help from the hubby.] <3  It’s exhausting and kinda weird pumping. The most obvious thing about pumping, it makes you feel like a cow being milked. I’ve never seen a cow being milked in real life, but I am pretty sure it’s similar. Oh and sometimes I would only get an drops of milk, I’d get super sad and cry. Other times I’d get pissed off and yell. Yay, hormones!

When my aunt Mimi told my sisters that our grandmother did not breastfeed my mom (or aunt and uncles) this information weirdly made me feel better. We’re not sure if our mom breastfeed us. And we all turned out fine-ish. I think what really helped me was this episode of “Adam Ruins Everything – Why Baby Formula Isn’t Poison“, it was such an eye opener. Formula saved babies lives. Yay formula! [[crowds cheer]]

I’m not a bad mom for not solely breastfeeding the Judester. Jude was (is) healthy and always had food in his cute buddha belly…THAT is the most important thing! The boy was always a chunky monkey, so I knew we were doing something right! Maybe Bryant is right. We found the holy grail of feeding. Scientist in the future will find that both formula and breast milk, are discovered to be the best thing for babies. BOOM!

Since I don’t have a photo of me breast feeding Jude on a beach, here’s a photo of me holding him for the first (second) time!

IMG_7243

What a dream came true, right?! <3

 

 



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/2CgpQfL
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment