Saturday, October 24, 2015

My 5 Breastfeeding Tips


Hey you! Yes you, the overly tired mother to a new baby. This post is specifically for those of you who are struggling to establish a nursing relationship. I’d like to share a little about my journey, as an unintentional ‘Dairy Queen’.  I have now been breastfeeding for 818 days. Yes, that adds up to 2 years,  2 months  and 24 days. But who’s counting? And before you ask, no, I didn’t originally set out to become that mom…You know the one who’s still breastfeeding her almost 3 feet tall toddler.  Yet, here I am!

During my pregnancy, I actually never gave much thought to whIMG_20150906_164621ether or not I’d nurse my child. I just figured I’d cross that bridge once I got there. I gave birth via c-section, therefore my baby was not able to nurse immediately. I was whisked off to a recovery room and baby went to the nursery. Once we were reunited, my milk had still not come in. In addition, I had no clue about getting him to latch on. Luckily my instincts kicked in and I requested a breast pump from the nurses. My intuition paid off because the pump provided just enough stimulation and suction to get things flowing. Those first drops of liquid gold provided my baby with the nourishment he needed.

Since my labor and delivery didn’t go as planned, I feel that our nursing relationship has somewhat compensated for that. The bond we’ve built through breastfeeding has been incredible. Providing such intimate comfort and nourishment for my son has been truly an honor and privilege. The World Health Organization recommends, “exclusive breastfeeding starting within one hour after birth until a baby is six months old.” However, “globally, less than 40% of infants under six months of age are exclusively breastfed.” In a society where extended breastfeeding is hardly the norm, I am fortunate to have made it this long. My husband has been my greatest, steadfast supporter. His encouragement helped to keep me going through some of the toughest times.

So here are my top 5 tips for a thriving nursing relationship:

  1. Patience – Be patient with yourself and your baby. This is a learning process for both of you. Frustration may set in but remember that most good things take time. Eventually you two will iron out the kinks!
  2. Practice – I was on the verge of giving up, when I finally decided to reach out to a lactation consultant. She showed me which positions were best, among other magical tips!  After that, things progressed smoothly. I just had to keep at it. Nurse on demand. Practice will eventually pay off.
  3. Determination –Thankfully, I never had supply issues. Our pediatrician would joke that I didn’t just make milk, I made cream. Even still, determination is a requirement for many nursing moms. Consuming foods like oatmeal, carrots, garlic, lactation cookies, fennel, nuts, green papaya, sesame seeds and ginger have been known to boost milk production. Also water, water, water! Stay hydrated. There are also special teas, like Mama’s Milk Tea by Earth Mama Angel Baby, which can help.
  4. Don’t Give a F*ck – Whether your baby is 2 months old or 2 years old, you can guarantee that you’ll be given the side eye anytime you nurse in public. Unfortunately, you will sometimes even get “the look” while surrounded by family and friends. It’s best to just continue on being the rock star that you are and feed your baby! Cover or no cover, do what works best for you and your child.
  5. Increase Your Pain Tolerance – The first three months were the most challenging for me, personally. I didn’t like the sensation whatsoever, in fact, sometimes it downright hurt! Your nipples may crack or even bleed if you’re one of the lucky ones. And then your baby grows teeth! Ouch. Can’t forget engorgement either. If you don’t nurse or pump often enough, your breasts will become so full with milk that they will throb and ache.

The good news is that if you follow these 5 tips you will be well on your to success. I have loved the special bond from nursing. But let’s be real, breastfeeding can also be a personal sacrifice. Sometimes it is uncomfortable. Often it’s time-consuming. It can also be quite physically limiting. Not to mention my breasts will be forever transformed. Most days I just want my boobs back to myself! It is definitely a compromise but a very worthwhile one. Your baby’s health and needs are your number one priority. So cherish them and this special time!



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1Wbcx3e
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment