Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Mandy's Lactation Cookies!

I’m going to be a working mom, so I’m going to need to pump as much breast milk as possible. I heard about lactation cookies, which are meant to ramp up milk production, and had to try some. I found the Munchkin Lactation Cookies online at Target and had my husband run out and grab a box for me. They were delicious and did help, but they had so much sugar in them, I felt that they were a bit too unhealthy. I finished off the box and then decided to try baking some myself.

The most important ingredients for the lactation boost are the oats, brewer’s yeast, and flaxseed.

I tried some actual lactation cookie recipes and they were pretty terrible, despite the rave review comments about them. So, I created my own recipe based off of a normal cookie recipe.

I found a good oatmeal cookie recipe online and made quite a few alterations for the lactation ingredients (and for flavor) and these cookies are delicious!

(I’ll post some pictures later)

 

Mandy’s Lactation Cookie Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour, minus 5 Tbsp
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 5 Tbsp Brewer’s Yeast
    • I got mine at GNC, it was nearly impossible to find anywhere else locally
  • 3 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
  • 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
  • 1 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 Granulated Sugar
    • You can try skipping this, next batch I’m going to see how they turn out without it
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 1/2 Cups Rolled Oats
  • 1 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips

 

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. In a medium bowl: Whisk flour, baking soda, brewer’s yeast, ground flaxseed, ground cinnamon, and sea salt
  3. In a large bowl: beat butter and sugars on medium-high until fluffy (about 3 minutes)
  4. Add eggs and beat on high for 1 minute. Add vanilla and beat until combined
  5. Add dry mixture slowly, beating on medium until combined
  6. Add oats and chocolate chips until combined
  7. Scoop dough into 1-2 inch balls, place on cookie sheet 2″ apart
  8. Bake for 10-13 minutes until edges are slightly browned, centers are soft
  9. Let cool for about 5 minutes on cooling rack

This makes about 30-35 cookies depending on size. I noticed a difference having between 3-5 cookies a day. I’ll eat them together or randomly throughout the day if I start to crave something sweet.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/2NP31kl
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment