Saturday, August 13, 2016

Breastfeeding positions #momlife

Prior to my pregnancy I never thought much about breastfeeding. The first time it occurred to me that there are different positions or holds was in our prenatal class when they taught some. However helpful this was, my build-a-bear teddy was much easier to figure out than our fragile newborn baby. One resource they suggested that I wish I would have looked at Dr Jack Newman. His website offers helpful videos of proper latch and good drinking – not things I really knew how to look for until our midwife showed me.

For us breastfeeding was not easy.. But that’s another post altogether …

If you are considering breastfeeding, currently nursing, having trouble nursing, or just interested in learning more for some future time and haven’t yet discovered a Le Leche League in your area – do it now. Really- click on the link, you can read this later. I had heard of LLL but didn’t attend a meeting until Bee was a few months old and we had worked through our troubles. The group in my city is very supportive and it is just nice to talk with like-minded moms and help you feel like you are not alone.

This link illustrates and describes 5 main positions for breastfeeding babies.

My experience so far:

Newborn: mainly cross-cradle and football hold. Bee would only latch on the left in a football hold for several weeks. Floppy newborn babies need extra support for their head and the cross cradle helps with this. Plus it leaves a hand free for directing the breast and breast compressions if like Bee your baby has trouble staying awake long enough to fill up their little belly!

Laid back/biological/breast crawl: discovered this one accidentally! Snuggling up for skin to skin time with our squishy newborn Bee he managed to find his food source all on his own. When leaning back with your baby laying on your body you can guide them towards their goal. It may surprise you how determined this tiny human can be.
Older infant: I still use the football hold sometimes or the cradle position. Cradle is just how you picture a baby being held for nursing – it becomes a more natural position when baby has some head control.  

Bee is now almost 7 months old and my favourite is “side-lying” aka laying down to nurse. Our lactation consultant suggested this when I expressed my concern of falling asleep while nursing – if you and your baby are already laying down there’s no need to worry! It took me a few weeks to try it but I am so glad I did! I don’t slouch, now that he is bigger he can wiggle without kicking me, it’s hands free so I can read or play on my phone and at nighttime I can basically stay asleep. It really is easy.. You just want to follow safe guidelines if sharing a bed with your baby at night or naptime. We recently put the crib “sidecar” to our bed. It was getting a little crowded with 3 of us in the bed (plus the cat sometimes 😸). This was yet another suggestion that I didn’t consider at first and now can’t believe I waited so long.
Our sidecar crib set up: I just googled it and there are lots of tutorials /suggestions.  We still have his mattress at the “bassinet” level but soon we will need to lower it cause he is getting mobile.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2aJxvVs
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment