Saturday, February 11, 2017

No-Bake Energy Balls and My Breastfeeding Journey

My breastfeeding journey hasn’t always been the smoothest. Ever since my guy hit the four month mark, he has had other ideas in mind. Every time he learns something new, he doesn’t seem to have time for nursing. SO, when he does decide he wants to end his nursing strikes, I don’t always have enough supply for him. I have definitely struggled with feelings of inadequacy… The cliche, “There are starving kids in Africa!”
has gone through my head more than once. I started with such an oversupply, why didn’t I pump more and stockpile? What is it about me that he doesn’t want? Did I do something wrong by introducing a bottle so his dad could help with the feeding? Should I not have introduced solids when I did? So many shoulda woulda couldas…

Society puts so much pressure on being the perfect mother. Mom guilt is real, y’all. If you aren’t exclusively breastfeeding, there must be something wrong with you. You must be lazy, or not want to bond with your baby. You must not have tried hard enough. YOU are not enough. We feel like we have to hide our struggles from the world so as not to feel judged or “less than”. Motherhood is hard enough without worrying about being judged for every step you take. We hide our struggles behind closed doors, hoping everyone sees us as the perfect mom. We try not to flinch. To hold our heads high. However, inside is a whole different story. No wonder so many women suffer in silence with their PPD (postpartum depression).

But you know what? You ARE enough. YOU know what is best for your baby. Not the millions of strangers who always seem to have their own opinions. I am telling this to myself again even as I type it. As long as your little one is happy, fed, and healthy, you are doing what you need to be doing. Whether this means you are exclusively breastfeeding, pumping, supplementing, store bought formula feeding, or making your own formula, it doesn’t matter. Every family, every baby, and every momma is different. And that is what makes us special!

While trying to boost my supply, I started making “boobie bites”, or no-bake energy balls. These are my “healthier” alternative to lactation cookies! And yes, your spouse and older children can eat them as well! No, it won’t make them spontaneously start lactating. These are a great snack that just happen to have all sorts of yummy goodness that boosts lactation for those that need it.

No-Bake Energy Balls

Makes: 2 dozen

  • 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup peanut or almond butter
  • 1/2 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 2/3 cup of raw honey
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp brewers yeast
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • OPTIONAL: substitute 1/2 cup of the rolled oats with coconut flakes
  1. Mix all of the above ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Using your hands, roll the “dough” into balls.
  3. Chill and store in the fridge.
  4. Enjoy!


from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2keTzMp
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment