Sunday, July 26, 2015

Boobie Bickies (Lactation Cookies)

Boobie bickies really helped with my supply when I had a sick newborn and could only express, which wasn’t great for my hormone production (oxytocin and prolactin). Eating foods that are galactagogues can increase milk production. At any rate, they are packed full of goodness and they are delicious.

This recipe will make about a bazillion biscuits, but other people will probably eat them too, so I bake  mine in one go (but I have seven people in my household). If you can’t eat 60-odd at once, the dough will freeze. I recommend making it into balls first, so you can bake them as you want more – let the dough balls thaw on your baking tray for a bit before you put them in the oven. They may also need slightly more cooking time – use your baking judgement.

Having two to three of these a day (if you can stop at three) should help boost your supply – the linseed in the LSA, the oats and the yeast are the active ingredients.

Ingredients
4 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons LSA meal (I get mine in the organic/wholefoods section at Woollies)
225g  butter (or margarine)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 heaped tablespoons of brewers yeast (you can get this at most health food shops – you want the powdered kind)
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
1 cup or more chocolate chips (I use the dark chocolate Nestle Melts, because I prefer buttons not chips – but you know what you like).

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Mix together the LSA and water in a small bowl and set it aside for three to five minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well each time.
5. Stir the LSA mixture and add it and the vanilla to your mixing bowl, mixing to combine.
6. Sift the flour, baking soda, yeast and salt into your bowl and mix through.
7. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
8. Using two spoons, place dough balls on a lined baking tray (mine are usually about 50c piece-sized, and if I’m using melts, I try to make sure each biscuit has one choc button in it. If I run out of chocolate before I run out of dough, I add extra).
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on how good your oven is.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1LLK6mt
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment