Wednesday, September 14, 2016

My Experience Donating Breast Milk

From the time I found out that I was pregnant, I knew that I wanted to breastfeed. The fact is that breast is the best, and my baby deserves that.

Breastfeeding is an amazing thing. Studies show that premature babies given breast milk tend to leave the NICU sooner than babies fed formula. Studies show that breastfed babies get better grades. Breast milk supports a healthy immune system. It’s delicious too, or that’s at least what my little boy thinks!

None of this is to insult momma’s out there that formula feed because there are circumstances where formula feeding works better for the family. That being said, I encourage all mothers to breast feed and to offer breast milk as long as both the mom and baby want.

I’ve constantly wondered what I could do to encourage human babies receiving human milk. I try to talk about it, and I tell other pregnant and nursing moms that they can do it. One day a lady in my local BST  group posted that she was looking for breast milk for her little one. I took the plunge and told her that I had 25 oz. in my freezer that I would gladly donate. She asked me a few health related questions, and I answered honestly. I ended up donating it to her, and it was a wonderful feeling.

Not only did I make more room in my freezer, but I helped a baby in need.

That’s when I learned about organizations like Human Milk 4 Human Babies. Once my freezer stash grew again I posted in the Human Milk 4 Human Babies Facebook page for my state that I had 60 oz. that my bottle refusing baby didn’t need. I mean, I might as well give them to someone else who would get use out of them, right? Quickly moms began replying to my post that they would come get it.

It actually amazed me (in a good way) how badly moms wanted to give their little one’s breast milk. Some moms struggle with supply. Some babies just won’t latch right.

It’s great that despite the struggles moms want to breastfeed without nursing. I think it’s even greater than other moms can help them do this.

 



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2cEHUC7
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment