Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Learning to Breastfeed as a New Mother

Currently 4 weeks into being a breastfeeding mother, I didn’t read any of the baby books, in the beginning I spoke with no lactation consultant, and basically the only thing I knew going into breastfeeding was that the baby’s mouth went onto my nipple and that is where she was supposed to get her food supply for the next 4 to 6 months.

The very first time the nurse handed me my beautiful baby girl, I laid her against my bare chest and she immediately started showing signs of wanting to nurse. Even though I didn’t KNOW how to tell or what to do, my instincts did all the work for me. Without thinking twice I moved her little head down to my nipple, and shoved (yes shoved) it into her mouth, before I knew it she was sucking, and i was feeding her…. for the next 3 hours.

The next two weeks consisted of mostly worry and stress. Was i producing enough? Was she sucking sufficiently? Was her latch correct? Why is she eating so often? Is it normal that I feel like she hasn’t let me put her down for three days straight?

Do yourself a favor NOW, find a free breastfeeding clinic, and go there ASAP. My first visit to the free clinic at the hospital down the street from my home consisted of me going into a room with about 5 other mothers (some of whom were having many more difficulties than I was) weighing my babe, feeding her (with a nurse guiding me), and weighing her after she was done to see how much she had drank. When I left that clinic, my worry and stress level was cut in half.

I’m one of the lucky one, the only trouble I had to deal with was that it took a little longer than usual for my breast milk supply to come in because of the I.V. fluid they had given me in the hospital (c-section birth, but that’s another post) and of course the sore nipples until both me and my babe were able to get our latch correct.

So that’s the gist of my story, now let me share with you some of the things I have learned these last four weeks.

  1. If it hurts when your baby is latching on, you are not doing it correctly.

Here is a video that the lactation consultant at my breastfeeding clinic recommended all the mothers watch- Deep Latch Technique

      2. LANOLIN!!

When you’re struggling those first couple days or weeks with your latch, your nipples get cracked and scabbed and sore and OUCH! This stuff is like chap stick for your nipples. I got mine at the CVS down the street. I also got some free tubes from my hospital stay

3. Get yourself a breastfeeding pillow.

The legitimate one, shaped like a giant U, meant specifically for breastfeeding. Its the only pillow I use, when before i was using 3 or 4 different pillows.

4. Learn different positions or holds.

They have the cradle hold, the football hold, the cross-over hold, and the reclining position. I use the cradle hold during the day, and the reclining position at night.

      5. Mother’s Milk tea.

It’s a tea that is sold at your local grocery store. Non-caffeinated and is supposed to help with the production of milk. I have heard some women say that it has helped and some women say that it didn’t do anything. For me, I feel like it aids in my production, but there is nothing better in the aiding of production than your baby’s suck.

      6. Your only job in life right now is to feed your baby.

Unless of course you don’t have the luxury of being able to stay home with your newborn. However, this is for those mamas that are able to stay home.

I am the type of person who feels a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day if their day was jam-packed with TCB (taking care of business). So having to sit in a chair the majority of the day without much room to do anything, those first couple of weeks seemed a little unbearable to me. Until I chilled out and realized that this is a very short time in my life and I should appreciate and respect the process of new life.

      7. Burp the baby!

I know this sounds simple, but I still find myself forgetting to do this sometimes, and then I wonder why my babe is fussing! Burp in between boobs and after the feeding. Babies that are breastfed don’t burp or vomit as much as the formula fed baby, but they still burp and vomit!

       8. Kellymom.com

I really dig this parenting website, they are helpful, and I trust the information given here.

       9. TRUST YOUR INSTINCT

I cannot stress this enough, you’re going to get lots of advice from many different mothers and doctors. You’re going to here many different stories about many different babies and the experiences their mothers had with them. When I first started out, my mind automatically would reference a story I heard from a fellow mother, and I would try to fit my baby into that box. The truth is, your experience is going to be very unique. Once I stopped worrying about what had happened with someone else’s baby, and I  started trusting my instincts to know what was right for MY baby, my days started to go along much smoother. Of course you will still have questions and the urge to google, just don’t get carried away with it.

       10. Leave the planner in the desk drawer for now

I’m four weeks in and I THINK I MIGHT see SOME glimmer of a routine being set. So far though, my babe has decided what my day consists of. If i can wash the dishes and take a shower, cool… if not, maybe tomorrow.

        11. Drink lots of water and don’t worry about that diet just yet.

This isn’t saying that its okay to eat that whole box of donuts, just don’t start counting calories just yet. Your body needs about 500 extra calories a day for the production of milk, and of course a lot of water, around 12- 8 oz glasses.

 

 

Now i’m sure there is much more learning to come, in which case there will be updates, but for now, I hope you enjoyed these tips and I hope they proved to be helpful to you.

 

 



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2g8q5ct
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment