Monday, December 12, 2016

My Journey to Relactation and Breastfeeding

Before I begin this post – let me just say, if you’re a parent or a mom like me, I totally respect how you feed your baby/ies. Whether your baby’s formula or breast fed – that’s completely okay. There’s aleady too much debate about these two feeding methods to add to it. If you ask me, both are okay for me only that breastfeeding works well for us at this time.

Breastfeeding didn’t come off easy and quick for me. And I think that was because we came unprepared for this battle. Tell you what – if there’s one thing we can redo about my whole birthing experience, we’d give a good amount of preparation on post-birth, essentially breastfeeding. My husband and I were so fixated on giving birth naturally that we honestly and unknowingly missed to prepare for what will happen after. We thought breastfeeding would come off naturally and easily – but we’re totally wrong.

We only got to purely breastfeed Oona on her 1st month onwards. She was fed on formula and breast milk combined during her first four weeks of life. And as a first time mom, guilt crept into me. Why? Because my husband and I had high hopes on exclusively breastfeeding Oona. This happened all because we got off on the wrong foot with breastfeeding – lack of information and proper support to be specific.

Oona had a bad case of nipple confusion as soon as we brought her home from the hospital. She won’t latch on properly and would opt the fast-drop bottle instead of direct feeding. This got us totally disappointed. We knew we’re on to something really challenging. We thought exclusive pumping would help me increase my milk production, but not for my case. I took countless milk boosting food and supplements but still to no avail. We didn’t realize that we just had to let the baby and my body take its natural course hence, the most effective technique – LATCH, LATCH, LATCH. So when we found out about relactation (esentially resuming breastfeeding after stopping or mixed feeding), we immediately contacted lactation counselors and a breastfeeding pediatrician to help us proceed. Otap and I knew the relactation will be difficult at that point, but we were ready (well him for the most part) to battle it through. We were commited to giving Oona breastmilk from that point on.

Fast forward to Oona’s 6th week and with countless wailing as we transition her to purely breastfeeding, we were finally formula milk free. The process was not easy at all. There were times I felt empowered to do away with formula feeding but there are times I would slip back into it and give Oona some ounces of formula milk. This, by the way, derails the process so it is highly discouraged. It was so much painful to hear my baby crying endlessly as if begging for the bottle but with prayers and perseverance, we’re finally past the phase. Praise God! At one point and out of frustration from Otap’s part that I kept slipping back and forth in the process, he hid all our bottles and the can of formula milk. He had the best intention of course – that is to prompt me to feed Oona only my breastmilk. Which, by the way, worked a lot for me.

They say, breastfeeding is 90% determination / of the mind and 10% of the body. And I completely agree. As soon as pure determination kicked in, we were going well with our feedings and my milk supply gradually increased as I diligently continued breastfeeding.

When I try to look back at those times when it seemed too impossible for me to relactate, I remain in awe of God’s amazing work in my body and in my life. Apart from the relactation process, there are times I would think of going back to our own feeding method just because there’s too much physical pain and exhaustion to bear. From nipple sores, cracks, to engorgements, milk blebs, plugged ducts, and recently, another challenge brought about Oona’s MSPI or milk soy protein intolerance. All those seemed too much for me to handle yet when I think about why I do this in the first place, I settle at the thought that I/we will do what we think is best for our child as her parents. There were times I doubted my ability to produce milk for Oona – I would cry it out to God out of desperation, sincerely begging His help on my situation. In His faithfulness, He kept reminding me of Philippians 4:13 and that I can pull it through, though seemingly impossible, through His help.

Four months into breastfeeding by God’s grace, we found out that Oona has MSPI or Milk Soy Protein Intolerance. In simple terms, she reacts negatively to food that has dairy and soy content which we are praying she would outgrow eventually. Yet as we trace back our breastfeeding journey, Otap and I are amazed that God allowed us to relactate succesfully in aid of Oona’s MSPI. Had we not gotten through the process and without God’s amazing help, it would led to further problems with Oona’s intolerance. His ways and timing are indeed indisputable!

My entire relactation and breastfeeding journey was so much bearable because of heaven-sent people who incessantly encouraged and helped me to keep going. My husband is one of them, he tirelessly cheered me on during the initial and gruelling phase of relactation: He prayed with and for me throughout the process. A lot of the pushing also came from my mommy friends who willingly answered all my questions and sent countless encouragements. I also have people who I didn’t personally know before but have so much concern for my breastfeeding journey. People I met in different Facebook groups I joined such as Breastfeeding Pinays and Rizal MammaS. I am also blessed to have known my Lactation Counselor, Tin Cervantes who helped me with immensely informative counseling and her amazing lactation massage. I love how I can text her anytime I have breastfeeding questions. If not for her, we would not have met our well-loved breastfeeding  advocate Pediatrician, Dra. Iris Buenaventura-Munoz. She’s all that we want for a Pediatrician. Honestly, I could not imagine getting through my breastfeeding journey without the proper support that both my Lactation Counselor and Pediatrician provides. It’s essential that you have these people – it makes a whole lot of difference!

In a nutshell, breastfeeding is not easy – as in not at all. It takes a lot of sacrifice and determination to keep going, even at this point for us. I honestly don’t know until when I can exclusively breastfeed Oona, there are times I admit that the canned option is just so tempting to try again. I just pray that God will enable me to keep going for as long as I can. More than the experience, I think God is using my breastfeeding journey to teach me things I have yet to learn – one of which is forebearance. :)

So if you’re a mom or a soon-to-be one, please as in please try breastfeeding for your baby unless a medical condition does not allow you to do it. Ask friends/relatives, research and learn as much as you could; it will definitely come in handy when it’s time for you to breastfeed. Do not hesitate to seek professional help if you think you need one. It is essential that you get proper guidance early on. Breastfeeding is honestly not easy, after all – nothing of value comes easy they say, but I can certainly tell you that the benefits outweighs the challenges. Not to mention the special and unique bond you and your baby will create that you are sure to cherish forever as a mom.

Happy breastfeeding, fellow Mama!

img2

Breastfeeding is so convenient for us as soon as we learn the ropes of it – sitting and striking anywhere with my nursing top on. 



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2gRy5zG
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment