Thursday, July 16, 2015

Breastfeeding Battles

Welcoming my sweet daughter into this world, it was very important to me that I breastfeed. Knowing that my mother did not have much success, I was already a bit hesitant to get my hopes up. I pushed my fears back, telling myself that she didn’t have the resources or social support that is available to me. Here is my story.

When Baby M was born, I was able to nurse right away. I didn’t see any colostrum, but I was assured it was there. In the hospital, she had a very hard time latching. She was small and so are my breasts. I tried different holds and positions. I was getting more and more upset as I realized my baby was hungry and I wasn’t helping her. A lactation consultant came in and offered me a nipple shield. At first, it helped, but it was still a very difficult process. It was even difficult for me to get her in the right spot, put on the shield, and keep it there and keep her interested.

At home, I was beginning to stress. Nursing took hours at a time, with very little breaks in between. Baby M was crying more than I had expected and refused to be put down. During this time, I developed mastitis in both breasts. Pain and frustration was getting the better of me.

After 6 weeks, Baby had only gained 1/2 a pound. It was not enough. I started to supplement with formula. In doing so, I became very frustrated with myself. I was angry that I could not provide for my child. I couldn’t do the one thing that I was meant to do. After many tears and way too many internet searches, I started to be defeated. I was sad. I was mad. I was a basketful of frustration.

I realize now that the one thing I was meant to do was to feed her in any way possible. Some people use formula. Some exclusively breastfeed. Some moms do a mixture of both. I’m all for whatever works best for your family. Everyone is different. I just knew that for mine, I wanted to breastfeed.

After getting a lot of support from my sister and some new friends, I kept pursuing breastfeeding. I drank Gatorade. I took supplements. I drank the tea. I dry pumped until my nipples were sore (which I now know was not a good option as it can damage your nipples). I ate the lactation cookies. I nursed as much as possible all day every day.

My supply started going up. Gradually, I went from 16 oz of formula to 8 oz. Then 8 to 4. Finally, no formula at all. I was ecstatic! The first time I was able to pump extra, I held that bottle up like it was a golden trophy.

Baby M is now growing well. She has the cute little fat rolls on her thighs and chubby cheeks. I couldn’t be more proud. She is still petite, but the doctor is happy with her progress. I’m happy with her progress. I can see that she is happy now. She isn’t hungry. She isn’t gassy from the formula. She is a happy, well-fed baby with a happy mommy, and that makes all the difference.

So, my advice to any nursing moms out there: Stick with it if you can. If it’s not right for you, don’t stress it. The most important thing for your child is that you are there to kiss her, smile at her, and provide for her to the best of your ability. Surround yourself with positive, supportive people.
Be proud of yourself, no matter how you feed your little one. You’re there to love and care for them, and that’s all that matters.

Extras: When I started pumping extra milk for babysitters, I pumped on one side while Baby nursed on the other. I achieved more let-downs this way. I have only successfully done this first thing in the morning. It takes a lot of practice to maneuver (really, moms should grow extra hands during pregnancy), but it’ll work.

This is my favorite recipe for lactation cookies: http://ift.tt/1Odq8k1



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1O9kYDU
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment