Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Momma Massage?

In the July 2015 issue of American Spa magazine, in the “spa tales” section, there’s an article penned by Lori Shubert regarding an incident she came across back when she was a massage therapist. Currently she is the spa director in Woodlands Spa at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in Farmington, PA. Here I quote:

Back when I was a massage therapist, i had a client who brought in her sleeping baby. At one point, he woke up and started fussing. She became antsy about the baby and the next thing I knew, she hopped off the table, scooped him up, and brought him back to the massage table. She asked me keep massaging her as she breast-fed the child, and I continued on her neck ans shoulders the best I could. I seemed to be the only one uncomfortable with the situation–mother and son were both content”.

As a therapist who has lots of pre- and postnatal clients, and is active in the local pregnancy care community I am a staunch supported of the movement to lift the stigma associated with breast-feeding in public. At the same time, and especially as a male therapist, I am not really sure how I would and should react if such an incident should happen on my table.

The question is, if you are a previous or current or expecting mom of a toddler, how would you react to your toddler’s impatience in similar situations?

And, if you are a therapist–especially of the male kind, how’d you feel if a similar situation should happen in your practice?



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1TmBx2w
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment