Saturday, August 8, 2015

Best of the Breast - all the best resources for breastfeeding in one place

In my work as a midwife and as a mother, it’s overwhelming when you’re a new mother and get conflicting advice from day 1 in the hospital.  Work is on the way to change this but you’ll always get differences of opinion due to different teaching techniques, professionals using their own experiences and different levels of training not to mention friends and relatives telling you what you should be doing.  I’ve been lucky to get good support from friends, family, colleagues and  La Leche League (LLL) but not everyone is so lucky.  I’ve gathered together the best articles and blogs I’ve found that are to my knowledge accurate and helpful considering the questions I get asked the most and the most common worries.  My first two children were breastfed for 3 months then combi fed for 2 more then formula fed, my third is 7 months and still exclusively breastfeeding – maybe it was third time lucky but I really wanted to feed for longer and made sure I had support this time but I also maintain that although breastmilk is technically better, you have to do what’s right for you at the time with the information you have.

So worry no 1 – I don’t have enough milk, baby is hungry and won’t stop feeding!  The truth is most women will have enough milk, babies need to feed regularly for the first few weeks to build supply and they also gain a lot of comfort from sucking at the breast and being in your arms.  This article highlights the perceived problem well: Low milk supply 101

699782_orig

Although it’s unlikely you will have a low supply and the answer is usually to feed more often, there are things to help or at least make you feel better – some people take fenugreek supplements, there are lactation bars, cakes, cookies and brownies- some people take oats, flax seed and flapjacks.  I believe if you’re well nourished and hydrated that’s half the battle.  The other half is hormonal, it’s important to be relaxed (as much as possible) and connected to your baby.  I have developed an aromatherapy blend to combine these two elements, it contains Sweet Fennel Oil to boost supply and Ylang Ylang to prevent and treat ‘the blues,’ and aid the adaptation to parenthood with a relaxing overall effect.  Use it in a burner, as a bath oil, foot bath or better still get someone to massage your feet or shoulders as you feed.  Available here.

breast

My baby wants to feed all the time! – related I know but this is so common and can be really frustrating.  When I first breastfed I just thought you fed the baby until it fell asleep and then you put it down and if it was still hungry you fed it again but this didn’t go on for long – I was wrong!  Comfort plays a big part and wearing your baby in a sling or giving baby to Dad or another family member for cuddles can give you a much needed break.  See Emma Pickett’s article on The Dangerous Game of the Feeding Interval Obsession

4481204

The La Leche League is an international organisation which has many local groups run by Mothers who have undergone training.  Meetings are informal and often in someone’s home so can be less intimidating than breastfeeding drop in clinics.  I found my group invaluable.  Their website has lots of useful articles, one in particular about Cluster Feeding which is very helpful, as babies tend to have one or more times of the day when they seem to want to be on the breast frequently or be unsettled and ‘colicky.’

Features_ClusterFeeding_MJ-Loiacono-CFeed-photo-by-Giselle-Salazar-Photography_1

Sore nipples – even if you’re getting your positioning right it can take one bad attachment to give you sore nipples, I was sore with all three and with one I had to resort to nipple shields for a few weeks but using them kept me going!  There are creams, shields and shells you can buy and even resort to cabbage leaves but if you persevere and get help to check your latch and positioning it will only be short lived.

When will it get easier and what can I expect?  All babies are slightly different but with variations on a theme.  The Alpha Parent is a great blog with useful insights, this one about The timeline of a breastfed baby is very helpful.

timelinebanner

Remember, a newborn’s stomach is very small and colostrum is super rich and concentrated, a formula fed baby will need more to get the same nutrients.  Here is a good visual to remember:

Size of a Newborn's Stomach

Size of a Newborn’s Stomach

One of the best go to websites for answers is Kellymom, you will find sensible and evidence based advice here, I often use it as a resource when I need to check something (my brain can only hold so much information at a time!).  Don’t forget the NHS Choices website too, lots of great articles and videos.

Use your local services – breastfeeding drop ins, midwives, health visitors, La Leche League, Peer support and baby cafes to name a few.  Build your Mum network be that Mum friends you know, new friends or online support through forums and social networks.

I hope this post has been of some use, feel free to comment.

Find me on:

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Etsy

 



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1TfhWiW
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment