Friday, August 14, 2015

Increasing my Milk Production: How I'm doing it

 When Braydon was born, I struggled with my milk production for a long time. For the first few days of his life, it seemed like he would cry for milk every 30 minutes. He was latched onto my breasts twenty. four. seven. It never occurred to me that this wasn’t normal. I thought, “he’s a baby and babies cry; their stomachs are small and they’re always hungry. No big deal… I got this”. At his 3 day appointment, he had already lost a little over one pound – way too much to have lost in such a short period of time. His pediatrician asked that I go home and begin pumping for the next 3-5 days, just to see if I was producing enough milk. If not, I was to supplement until my milk production increased enough to satisfy my baby.

That night, I pumped for the first time only to find out I had no more than a few drops… the knowledge that my son had been crying practically non-stop for 3 days out of hunger was utterly and completely heart breaking. I cried and agonized over it for a long time. I beat myself up for allowing my son to go hungry and hated myself and my body for not being able to sufficiently perform such a natural yet vital function.

Under the pediatrician’s recommendations, I began supplementing – although, with such a low production, it seemed more like supplementing formula with breast milk, rather than the other way around. I began my research and read everything I could find on milk production and how to increase it. By the time Braydon hit 2 months, I was able to begin exclusively breastfeeding. Now, just a week shy of 4 months, I have been able to start a small freezer supply.

Here are a few tips that I found helpful:

  

Stay Hydrated

The days I don’t get enough water, I can tell the difference. If you think you drink enough as it is, up your intake anyways. It couldn’t hurt and has benefits go much further than an increase in your milk supply.

Another key to remember is that if you’re not getting a sufficient amount of water neither is your baby. Keep your baby hydrated by keeping your milk hydrated; keep your milk hydrated by keeping your body hydrated.

 

Green Juice

In addition to water. I have at least one tall glass of green juice with a multi-vitamin daily. Green juice is packed full with nutrients that will not only aid in milk production but will provide quality, nutrient rich breastmilk for you little love bug as well.

  IMG_0714
Pump/ Feed Often

I pump every 3 hours while I’m not with my son. When I am with him, I feed on demand in addition to pumping every time he goes down for a nap that I know will last at least 1-2 hours.

When your milk glands are empty, your body releases hormones that trigger milk production. If you’re trying to increase your supply, it’s best to keep your breasts as empty as possible as often as possible. If your little one isn’t hungry, try pumping or hand expressing some into a storage bag or bottle for later.

  Avoid Heavy Cardio

Breastfeeding doesn’t mean you need to avoid exercise all together – you just need to take it easy. I go for light walks with my baby in his Boba Wrap Carrier, squats around the house, I take the stairs instead of the elevator, and try to be on my feet as often as possible. Yoga is also a great workout, muscle builder, and stress reliever (check out that amazing yoga mom! I have no idea who she is but, wow! What an inspiration!!).

I’m not focusing on losing weight and getting my old body back. Realistically, that’s never going to happen. My body has changed forever but that doesn’t mean I can’t love it even more and that I can’t feel sexy again. My body did an amazing thing and I absolutely love it for that. Because I love it, I’m treating it right, staying active (not focusing on weight loss and intense workouts), and eating right.

Healthy Calories & Fats

This can be extremely hard if you lack confidence in your body after birth. I wanted to work on getting my body back right away but making sure you get enough calories per day doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your body and your health. Breastfeeding burns roughly 300-500 calories so you should add an extra 300-500 calories to your daily caloric intake. This can be done with healthy snacks and treats or adding an extra – but healthy – meal to your day. Lord knows you’re up long enough to warrant an extra meal! I find it best to maintain healthy eating by meal planning and meal prepping.

Every Sunday, I precook my lunches. I tend to have something light for dinner, like a salad, and will add plenty of nuts, fruits, and hemp hearts to be sure I get in some healthy fats and calories too. Breakfast, as usual, is the most important part of the day. I usually start it off with a lactation smoothie… Which brings me to my last and my favorite tip!

  

Chocolate Banana Lactation Smoothie

This is a fast and easy way to get my breakfast in the morning, while I’m on the go. I prepackage all of the dry ingredients into a ziplock bag for every day of the week. Each night, when I get home from work, I clean out my blender and put in the banana and almond milk. In the morning, I simply add ice and the ziplocked ingredients, blend, and I’m good to go! For one serving, you will need:

1/3 cup – old fashioned rolled oats

2 tbsp – flax meal

2 tbsp – raw cacao powder

1 – banana

1 cup – vanilla almond milk

1 cup – ice (about 5-6 cubes)

You can also add 2 tbsp of peanut butter for a PB chocolate banana smoothie.

Simply blend and enjoy! 

NOTE: You can make whatever adjustments you feel necessary to the measurements of ingredients for a better flavor. These are the measurements I enjoy.

Oatmeal is the main ingredient that will boost your supply, followed by flax seeds. I use almond milk over cow’s milk as it is my personal milk preference and have also read almonds may cause a boost in production as well (I buy the sweetened vanilla flavor for taste).

Most Importantly… Don’t give up!

Breastfeeding, whether you pump or not, is hard but the benefits of breastmilk are invaluable! Keep in mind why you do what you do and don’t give up. There are plenty of other solutions out there as well. While this may have worked for me, you may find something else that works best for you. Every body is different. One thing is true though – you can do it, mama! We’re all here supporting you!



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1hbyiNY
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment