Monday, August 3, 2015

Lactation Breakfast Cookies

cookies
My decision to breastfeed Hudson was incredibly easy to make and was made with one thing in mind: IT’s FREE! I was ready to become cow and let it rain milk!!

milkIf you’ve ever heard any breast feeding women talk about breast milk, you would know it’s a hotter commodity than oil & gas in their eyes. I knew I had to do everything to make and keep my supply up.
One thing I heard of was ‘lactation cookies’, which are really popular right now and I enjoy cookies. It was worth a shot.

I made over 60 of them before Hudson was born and because they tasted like a normal chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, half of them were gone before he even arrived! I think this was in part to the amount of butter and sugar in them. Essentially they were a normal cookies with added milk-producing ingredients (aka. good for your supply but not good for you or your waistline).
I have altered the recipe to be healthier: I took out the chocolate and added dried goji berries so I wouldn’t want to eat them ‘just because’.
One of the good things about having the word ‘lactation’ in the name is that no one else (including your husband) will eat them! Neglect to tell them that they will not actually become a secondary option of feeding your little one and the cookies will be all yours!
My favorite time to eat a couple is during my middle of the night feeding or  for breakfast with my coffee. They are not too sweet and rather filling considering their size, making them a quick snack. And hopefully these little suckers (along with a healthy diet and lots of water) will help boost your supply!

spraying-milk_1496168i

There are a few factors in this recipe that help with the production of breast milk (so don’t leave them out or replace them). They are: flax seeds (your body will only absorb them if they are ground), Rolled or steel-cut oats— but they must be as organic and unprocessed as possible, so not Quaker’s (no offense). Also, the main thing: Brewer’s yeast. I went to my local store, Sprouts, but it was a little out of my budget, so I went on Amazon and even with the shipping, it was cheaper (I think $8.00 for the container).

The Brewer’s yeast has a strong flavor I can’t really describe, so I’ve only really used it in the cookies or a shake. It is high in protein, which is great source for people on a vegan diet…or not.
Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:** makes about 60
1 Cup Whole wheat flour
6 Tbsp Brewer’s yeast
4 Tbsp ground flax seeds
4 Tbsp Chia seeds
5 Cups Rolled Oats
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
1.5 Cups Dried goji berries (substitute this with chocolate chips, or another                 berry/raisin if you like)
1 Cup Coconut oil (you can use some butter or applesauce. I just have  a HUGE    thing from Sam’s club, so 1 cup was not a big deal)
**1/2 Cup White Sugar                     \
**1/2 Cup Brown Sugar                       > ** These can be altered to different amts
**healthy squeeze of honey              /
1 tsp Vanilla extract
3 eggs
–the closer to ‘organic’ the ingredients, the better–
Directions
-Preheat oven to 350 & grease 1-3 cookie sheets with either spray, butter or coconut oil
-In a mixer or in a bowl (easier with a hand mixer) beat together oil (or butter/applesauce) & sugar until smooth. Add honey, vanilla and eggs. It may give the appearance of it curdling, but it’s just the coconut oil cooling back to a solid.
-In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients: Flour, oats, brewer’s yeast, ground flax, Baking Soda, salt & your choice of sweetness, whether it’s a dried berry or chocolate chips.
-Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
-Once it’s completely combined, use a normal spoon (the big one) and take out a healthy chunk of the mix, place it on to your greased cookie sheet. It should be about 2-3″. They will not spread, so you can place them rather close together on the baking sheet.
-Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
-Take them out of the oven and let them cool before eating ;)
-Once cooled, you can freeze 1/2 of them for down the road.

Enjoy!
Kristi Bri.

PS. The photos of spraying milk were actually taken from a Brussels protest where copious amounts of milk were being sprayed at parliament in protest excessive milk quotas. Who knew.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1SDIJur
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment