Saturday, August 8, 2015

Lactation cookies: q & a

Lactation-cookies-types-Nutella-peanut-butter-toffee

Lately, I’ve been super busy making lactation cookies. I know, sounds weird, private, disgusting, awkward whatever, but lactation cookies are full of “milk-making” ingredients that can help new moms! <— even weirder than the name, I know. 

I’ve been selling lactation cookies primarily through swip-swap sites in the local area and to friends of friends. I’ve gotten a ton of the same questions she here’s a little Q & A section of the questions moms have asked and the answers I’ve found.

Will these really help?

Yes, they can! Lactation cookies are made with a few key ingredients that help the lactation process. With drinking plenty of water (and then some more), having proper nutrition and healthy habits as well as trying to rest as much as possible, these delicious, nutritious cookies can definitely help increase supply!  The four “perk ’em up” ingredients are:

Oats– full of fiber, calcium and iron, two essential nutrients for nursing mothers

Flaxseed– fiber, omega-3 fatty acids: improves milk quality, brain function and helps regulate hormones

Brewer’s yeast– iron, proteins, vitamin B, selenium and chirmium (which can also aid in lowering blood sugar levels and cholesterol) Not only is brewer’s yeast helpful at boosting milk supply, but it can also help fight that early mom fatigue.

Barley malt– organic sprouted barley in the form of a syrup is used to replace a portion of the sugar in the cookies and mimics the lactigenic effect of malt.

Lactation-cookie-ingredients

Can I eat them before the baby comes?

Yes, but it’s not going to help with post pardum milk production. Prolactin, the hormone that produces milk increases throughout pregnancy but  the body doesn’t react to it until the placenta is delivered, mainly due to the hormone progesterone in the placenta. If you have a history of low milk supply, get some frozen cookies to accompany you on you first few weeks home. Or bring a batch to a friend when meeting their new baby!

However, I must disclose that I am a HUGE proponent of seeing what your body can do all on it’s on.  I mean you just birthed a tiny human, right!?  I believe that our bodies can do some incredible things all on its own.  As much as I would like every mom to buy cookies, I would like even more for every mom to be able to produce tons of milk all on their own.  Since life happens, we go back to work, we stress out, eat second or third to our kids and sleep less than we should, sometimes a little assistance is needed.  This is where I LOVE helping new and veteran mommies increase their milk supply and provide for their babies with cookies!

 How many should I eat?

No two people are the same so this is a loaded question but in general, the common thread I’ve read among other blogs and articles recommend what’s below. I’ve also had feedback from customers this worked for them!

days 1-2: 4 cookies

days 3-4: 2-3 cookies

1 cookie a day for the rest of the week. Repeat cycle next week or when supply goes low again.
Do you have other flavors?

Yes! Check out the main page for all the current flavors. I’m always open for customization.
Do you have dairy or gluten free?

The oatmeal-raisin-coconut can be dairy free every easily with no loss of milk making ingredients. For gluten-free, please contact me about options. My kitchen is NOT gluten free for someone with celic disease but I can make cookies whose ingredients do not contain gluten in nature.
Can I freeze lactation cookies?

Yes! This is the best part! I do the work, get the ingredients, mix the magic and portion out the cookies. All you have to do is preheat the oven and you will have freshly baked homemade cookies in about 10 minutes or less!
Where can I buy them?

Right here! (Sort of) all you have to do is email me your order and we will coordinate a pickup/delivery. Email cassiemsmith@gmail.com or leave a comment below!
I’m not due for awhile but would LOVE to but would love to buy some, can I pre-order?

Yes! You have a due date so schedule a delivery now for a later date. See below for how to order.
What’s the process for ordering?

  1. Go to the Little Miss Moo section and pick the type of cookies you want
  2. Email me at cassiemsmith@gmail.com your order; you will get one dozen baked and one dozen frozen so you can bake fresh later! (Or both frozen, your choice) It’s $15 for each type (each 2dz set)
  3. Do you want pick up (from Stonehurt Plantation pool on 210) or delivery (I can meet you or deliver directly – $5 starting charge, depending on distance)?
  4. When do you want them?  I can deliver before 8am or after 8pm M-F, weekends are pretty open.
  5. Get them and enjoy!

Where can I find more info on lactation, lactation cookies, etc?

Below are a few links to articles and blogs that I’ve found super helpful!

Foods that Help Increase Breastmilk – http://ift.tt/1IKM3xk

Breastfeeding Basics – http://ift.tt/1DCHTHe

Dr Momma and Lactation Cookies – http://ift.tt/1Kaaz7G

Breastfeeding Made Simple and other great books – http://ift.tt/1KaawIS

The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide to Making More Milk – http://ift.tt/1DCHUeq

Still have questions?  Leave me a comment below and I’ll add it to the Q&A!

Lactation-cookies-little-miss-moo



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1KaawIY
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment