Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Cookies For Your Milk...Production

Yesterday, a guy friend from college was asking for a healthy chocolate chip recipe. I immediately thought of the milk production cookie recipe that we received from our midwives. It is such a delicious cookie that I ate so many I’m surprised I didn’t spontaneously lactate. I did NOT lactate and neither will he. But the cookies do have some awesome ingredients that aid in milk production for those you who are lactating.

I read a lot about breastfeeding among the blogging community. Some of you may already be incorporating these ingredients into  your diets to aid in production but this is a delicious alternative. I can not promise this cookie will correct all of your breastfeeding issues or woes but it does taste great.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup ground flax or chia seeds or both
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (not baker’s yeast but the yellow flakes)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup butter softened
  • 1 cup raw sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 organic eggs
  • 2 cups dark chocolate chips
  • 1 cup walnuts

Directions

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Prepare cookie sheet with your favored method of “greasing”.
  2. Mix together wet ingredients in a small bowl.
  3. In a separate large bowl mix together the dry ingredients then add wet ingredients.
  4. Place desired size drops of dough on cookie sheet then bake for 8-12 minutes until golden.

This recipe has obviously been passed down through people and maybe even by word of mouth. The actual directions are limited. I expanded them a little so at least you have some steps. I am not a professional baker and I’ve made these several times and they have always tasted great even when they didn’t quite bind during my veganization of them. The best part is at the top of the directions it reads – You Must Eat Several a Day. So there you have it from our very finicky midwives…EAT ALL THE COOKIES! Here are some other helpful hints:

  1. I don’t like whole-wheat flour for baking. I prefer to use oat flour and organic all-purpose flour.
  2. I always use 1/4 cup flax and 1/4 cup chia…1/2 cup of chia is a lot of freaking chia seeds even if you like them a lot.
  3. Nutritional yeast is something most vegans have on hand but if you don’t it’s easy to find. Some stores sell it in bulk and some in a very handy container.
  4. To veganize you can replace the egg with flax eggs and by using vegan butter (Earth Balance). If you make flax eggs, be sure to do that first to give it time to set. This is your binder. A couple of times my cookies would not bind really well b/c my flax eggs were not set. Still tasty though!
  5. I never add the nuts. That’s not really a hint…That’s just because I don’t like nuts in my cookies.
  6. Watch the cookies while in the oven so they don’t burn. The directions don’t actually give a baking time but we usually took ours out around 10 minutes.

I took pictures of the baking process for these cookies months ago when we were majorly sleep deprived as opposed to now when we’re just slightly sleep deprived or adapting to it. If I find them, I will post them here. If I don’t, maybe I’ll make some cookies.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1JMohRP
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment