Saturday, June 25, 2016

For the boob, not from the boob.

Since starting my mom-targeted business, I have had several people ask my if my cookies are made from breastmilk! While I have no doubt that someone, somewhere has tried this, my cookies are not those. One Bad Motherbaker’s Lactation Cookies are made to encourage lactation in nursing mothers. They will not defy the laws of nature and cause men or children or non-nursing mothers to start lactating; trust me when I say my husband has tested this theory time and time again. These cookies are great, however, for a vitamin boost in anyone’s diet.

These cookies have three magic ingredients that encourage milk production in nursing women.

  1. Brewer’s Yeast – To be quite honest, this ingredient has a very off-putting taste and smell, and the cookie is the tasty cloak it hides under. This yeast, while also used to make beer, is rich in folic acid, B12 and B2, and protein. Selenium and chromium, which are an essential part of a nursing momma’s diet, are also contained within this magic dust. The vitamins and minerals in Brewer’s yeast are also thought to aide in fighting off both fatigue and the baby blues. Nursing or not, Brewer’s yeast is a great source of protein and B vitamins!
  2. Whole Oats – Are known to aide in warding off inflammation, nourish the cardiovascular system, stabilize blood sugar and provide a good source of fiber.
  3. Flaxseed – This ingredient is a rush of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids (a.k.a. the good fats) which are good for heart and digestive health.

Making these ingredients part of your diet is essential, nursing or not. I am no longer nursing, but I still make these cookies for my kids so that these vitamins, minerals and good fats can still be a part of their diet.

If you are nursing, and do not need the aid of a galactagogue, it is still important to get the proper amount of vitamins and minerals into your diet. These cookies, combined with your prenatals and drinking plenty of H2O can help you maintain your milk supply and the nutrients that are being passed along to your baby.

The ingredients above can also be blended into a smoothie if you are looking for a less sugary, healthier option. You can find some great mixing recipes on my blog!



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/28ZGIZY
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment