Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Nom Nom Mommies: Lactation Cookies

Baby B. is here, which means another breastfeeding journey has begun. She was born hungry and her appetite hasn’t slowed down since, leaving me struggling to keep up with her. During the first 6 weeks, as much of a literal pain as it is, cluster feeding is quite normal. It’s baby’s way of “putting their order in”, their way of saying “Hey boobies, you work for me now”. That’s not to say that it’s easy (especially with a toddler running around), but it’s to be expected.

I’ve noticed that it’s a million times harder to eat enough calories and keep hydrated, when you have two babes to cater to, which is why it’s so so important for me to have supply boosting snacks handy. Lactation cookies are my go to, and one of my favorite things about breastfeeding. It’s basically, a completely valid excuse to munch on cookies all day…cookies that I’m not required to share (but usually end up doing anyway). I’ve tried a lot of recipes and tweaked them here and there to get the flavor/results I wanted, so I thought I’d share the “formula” for my latest batch.

WARNING – This is not calorie conscious, low fat, weight friendly, or going to help you fit into your prepregnancy skinny jeans. 

  • 3 cups steel cut/old fashioned oats
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup crushed almonds
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons brewer’s yeast
  • 2 tablespoons nutella
  • 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350

  1. Mix together 4 tablespoons of water and flaxseed, and set aside for about 5 minutes
  2. Beat butter, coconut oil, and brown sugar together, adding one egg at a time, until creamy
  3. Add flaxseed mixture, vanilla, and nutella to butter mixture, and beat well
  4. Add all the dry ingredients except oats and almonds, and mix well
  5. Now you can add the oats and almonds
  6. Wash your hands (obviously, unless you like germs) and roll dough into small balls, placing them about  inch apart on cookie sheet
  7. Bake for 9-12 minutes

 



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2eH4Ui7
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment