Friday, October 14, 2016

Yummy lactation cookies!!

With the hard start to our breastfeeding journey, I looked at so many different ways to increase my milk supply.  I tried Milk Drops, Fennel Seed Tea, and so many other things.  But, what truly worked for me were these lactation cookies.  I adapted a recipe and with a little experimentation came up with my own personal lactation cookie recipe which I’d like to share!

Hopefully these  will help some other breastfeeding mums.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of brown sugar (you can also do 3/4 cup if you have a sweet tooth)
1/2 cup coconut oil (you can change this for butter or even bananas as well, just use the same amount)
1 cup wholemeal flour (you can use ordinary white flour, just add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 – 3 Tablespoons Flax-seed (ground works better then whole, and I usually soak the ground flax-seed in 3 tablespoons of water.  Add more water if you want your cookies more moist)
2 – 3 Tablespoons Brewers Yeast (This is the best yeast, no substitutes will work)
1/2 cup of cookie additions (chocolate pieces, raisins, dried fruit, whatever you want)
1 and a 1/2 cups of rolled oats (Instant oats don’t work)

Method:

Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Cream sugar and oil and add your flax-seed and water mixture, making sure you mix well.  Then add your egg as well as vanilla essence.  Once this is all mixed, add brewers yeast, flour and mix.  Add your oats and additional cookie additions.

Roll tablespoon amounts onto a baking dish (on a sheet or well greased dish).  I squash mine down just a little since I like them a little gooey in the middle.

Bake for 10 – 12 minutes depending how you like them.  I usually do 8 – 10 minutes since I like mine a little raw, and the raw dough works great to  increase milk supply as well.

If you do make this recipe, let me know how it turns out for you.  I do change a few things, if I feel a little empty, I add another table spoon of brewers yeast, I also add morewater.  It all depends on your particular taste!



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2dqwQYZ
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment