Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Momtastic - The Cookie Lady - Nadia Moolman

The purpose of my blog has been to share my journey as a parent, and to celebrate motherhood! Not just me, but mommies all around me as well! And with that in mind, I am starting a new section called MOMTASTIC :)!  I will be interviewing inspirational mommas who are wearing multiple hats, and managing it all with panache!

My mommy for January is someone most new moms in Doha already knows well, and one who bakes the best ever lactation cookies – Nadia Moolman of Milking Cookies. At QR 35 for a pack of 12, her cookies were not only reasonable, but also delicious and incredibly healthy!

Nadia has been in Qatar for almost six years, and has had an excitingly eventful journey to say the least! She came here as cabin crew, met her husband, had two babies – her son is 2 years old, and her daughter is nine months. But now it seems the time has come for her to move on to the next big adventure, and we wish her the very best for everything in the future!

screen-shot-2017-01-18-at-10-37-26-amName:
Nadia Moolman

Explain yourself in about 10 words:
I am a chocoholic health food fanatic who loves traveling and all things pretty!

Tell us about your project:
Milking cookies is a small home based business, where I make and sell lactation cookies and snacks, which help new moms increase their supply. It is healthy, and I make different flavours including chocolate chip, double chocolate, coconut, honey and oats, and peanut butter. I recently started doing cupcakes as well.

Why did you launch this?
Milking Cookies started as a project of love. I was looking for a way to stomach brewers yeast, flax meal and fenugreek when exclusively breastfeeding my first, when I came by recipes for cookies. After trying and testing a few recipes I perfected one and made them for myself. They really increased my milk supply and doubled as breakfast or afternoon snacks while working. When I fell pregnant with my 2nd child, I had to resign my job as a teacher due to exhaustion of pregnancy and having a baby at home. Looking for extra income and something to keep me from going crazy from boredom I decided to share the cookies with the moms in Qatar. I was overwhelmed by the response I got, and I have never looked back.

4154How do you find the time to juggle motherhood and your work?
It’s challenging! I’ve baked with a baby rocking in front of the oven and a toddler sitting on the kitchen counter singing ‘Wheels on the Bus’, to keep them entertained while weighing out ingredients. But I have realized that sometimes you need to stop what you are doing, give your kids a hug and the attention they need and continue your work when they are asleep. You need to remember that they come first and that they will not be so small forever so enjoy each day.

How do these cookies help, and how should one take them?
They are packed with nutrients such as omegas and b vitamins and fiber, and oatmeal and flax fenugreek are natural ingredients that increase milk supply. 2-4 cookies a day can help increase supply, curb sugar cravings and are filling for breastfeeding moms who need to snack constantly.

So, we hear you are leaving. Where is the adventure called life taking you next?
Back home to South Africa. I am hoping to use my skills, and start a company that focuses on children’s nutrition.

Any parting words to moms in Doha?
Make the most out of your life in Doha. It’s easy to get caught up in the negativity many expats here have. Focus on the great things this country has to offer, learn about the culture or experience many of the activities that is found only here – take up a language class, try the local foods, go see the flamingos and kayak through the mangroves. Make memories that can be cherished, because at least for now, this is where you call home.

What is the most important parenting rule you live by?
Raising confident and polite children who respect themselves and others, is much more important than the brand of shoes they wear, the stroller they sit in, whether they wore cloth diapers or if their cereal was organic. In the end we’re responsible for raising kind human beings.

 

 

Go on and drop her a line: http://ift.tt/2k3alh8

And! If you know any mamas who you think deserves to be featured, do give me a shout! 🙂



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2jJe8Nk
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment