Thursday, April 26, 2018

Lactation Cookies...Vegan Style

Vegan Lactation Cookies

It’s the new year and with the new year comes resolutions.  Well our family resolution was to eat and live healthier than we have been.  With that we decided to adopt a vegan lifestyle.  (I’ll blog about that in another post.)  I started to convert some of our favorite recipes so that they would be vegan friendly.  Most of them being baked goods.  Just because we want to eat healthy doesn’t mean that we can’t satisfy our sweet tooth!  And while satisfying my sweet tooth I might as well increase milk production too.  Here is my converted recipe for my favorite lactation cookies. 

Ingredients:

  • 4 tablespoons of Brewers Yeast
  • 2 cups of Whole Wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 3 cups of steel cut/ old fashioned oatmeal
  • 1 cup of  chocolate chips (I found vegan chocolate at Trader Joe’s)
  • 3/4 cups Pure maple syrup
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 whole mashed banana
  • 2 tablespoons of Flaxseed Meal
  • 4 tablespoons of water
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350F.

1) Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips.

2) Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.

3) Cream applesauce and maple syrup. Add bananas, mix well.

4) Stir in flaxseed mixture and vanilla to the syrup mixture. Beat until blended.

5) Add dry ingredients to syrup mixture. Stir in oats then chips.

6) Scoop or drop onto baking sheet. The dough is a bit sticky so use a spoon.

Bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies. Makes approximately 6 dozen cookies.

Because this recipe does make a lot of cookies I usually flash freeze some dough balls in the freezer and then I bag them and have them available whenever I want.  Just form dough into balls and set in a pan in your freezer for about an hour.  After the hour (or longer in my case because I completely forgot about them) transfer them to freezer bags.

There you have my very first converted recipe!  Just because these are lactation cookies does not mean that only breastfeeding mommas can eat them.  They are really yummy and for the most part guilt free!



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/2HPadNT
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment