Monday, April 23, 2018

Oatmeal Scotchies

While in college, we all would love opening our mailbox to find the package slip. No, it didn’t mean my Amazon order arrived (that wasn’t really a thing back then); it was a care package. I remember getting my first package within a few weeks of my arrival at Hobart & William Smith from my Grandma Bunny. Knowing my Grandma, I was sure it was some baked goods of some kind, and I ran back to my dorm to see what it was.

Even before opening, you couldn’t miss the smell of popcorn. I opened the box to find my grandma used actual popcorn as packing peanuts, and hidden within the popcorn was a bundt cake, cookies and even a sheet set (all thankfully in plastic). My grandma would repeatedly send me these popcorn boxes while I was in school, and the smell of popcorn would always draw my friends over for a visit and a treat. All, including the popcorn, was always devoured by me and my friends.

One of my favorites cookies of hers were her Oatmeal Scotchies (aka oatmeal butterscotch cookies).  And don’t worry –  if you’re not a fan of butterscotch, you  can easily substitute with chocolate. Unlike my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, I make these bite-sized, so they’re much more manageable for a snack. I used to always make a batch of these after my son’s birth since they were a quick, easily accessible snack. Unlike my grandma’s recipe, I added in flaxseeds and brewers yeast to help with self care in those early days, but both are totally optional when making!

1 cup [2 sticks] butter
1 ½ cup packed brown sugar
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoon brewers yeast (optional)
3 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
11 oz butterscotch chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, brewers yeast and flaxseed together, set aside. In a standing mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk in and mix well. Add flour mixture and mix until batter is just combined. Gently fold in the butterscotch chips until the butterscotch is just incorporated. Use a small spoon to form 1” balls.

Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown, taking care to not overbake. Remove baking pans from oven and let cookies cool on a wire rack until cool.

Note – to make ahead combine and store in freezer for up to 3 months in a airtight bag. Bake when ready to enjoy!



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/2HRjFO3
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment