Friday, July 27, 2018

6 Ways to Keeping Your Milk Supply UP!

At some point during the breastfeeding journey, many women experience an undersupply. I hope that this is a phase for you if that is why you are visiting this page!

For me, this occured for the first time when Taelyn was almost 7 months old. I caught a tummy bug :( And my assumption is that it dehydrated me so much that my milk supply decreased. Taelyn was getting frustrated so she wasn’t nursing as long to help my supply and then she got the tummy bug and didn’t want to nurse much at all!

So began my research! And my calls to my lactation consultant. (P.S. if you haven’t been to or talk to a lactation consultant I highly recommend it!) Here is what I found! (these are my personal findings and experiences. Please check with your healthcare professional)

  1. Hydrate!

    • One of the biggest most helpful things we can do as nursing moms is to stay hydrated! Our bodies need water to produce our milk! This was definitely one of my problems with my milk supply dropping when I was sick.
    • The amount of water you truly need depends on your specific body. ALWAYS drink when you feel thirsy and keep an eye on the color of your urine.
    • My goal is always to drink AT LEAST an 8-12 ounce cup of water every time I nurse or pump. And I always keep my cup filled between feeding sessions to sip on because, to be honest, I feel thirsty like ALL THE TIME!
  2. Eat. Eat. Eat

    • Our bodies are still working overtime to produce the nutrients our babies need. It is important that we are eating a healthy, well balanced diet as well as increasing our caloric intake.
    • My lactation consultant suggested that I eat at least 2,000 calories a day. The suggested amount is about 400-500 additional calories.
    • Need some food suggestions?? Check HERE
  3. Nurse. Then Nurse some more.

    • Our milk supply works on a supply and demand system. The more you can get your baby to latch and suck the better chance you will have at producing more milk!
    • Our babies are the best at what they do. They know when to cluster feed if more milk is needed and they have the best suction when they are latched. So, whenever your baby is hungry get them to latch! If you are struggling with latching, even the quickest latch can provide big benefits! Keep trying mama!
  4. Pump After Nursing

    • Because our bodies work on a supply and demand system it is important that all of our milk is taken from our breasts when we are trying to increase our supply. Sometimes, this means pumping after feeding.
    • If your supply is really low like mine was, DEFINITELY pump after every feeding, even if nothing is coming out! By pumping even when you are not producing you are telling your body that your baby needs more!
    • When you are really trying to increase your supply it can be necessary to Power Pump. Not sure what that is? Read more here! This will mimic a cluster feed to help tell your body to increase milk production!
  5. Monitor Your Stress Levels

    • Just like pretty much everything in our lives. Stress can affect your milk production! I know that this seems pretty tough right now to keep your stress levels down but know that you are doing your best for your baby!
  6. Skin to Skin

    • The importance of skin to skin doesn’t disappear after that power hour at the hospital. Skin to skin contact helps you by producing those mama hormones! So take a little staycay and lounge with your sweet little nugget!
    • If you are pumping hold your baby near you, look at a picure of your baby, watch a video you recorded. Get those hormones pumping mama!

 

Good Luck Little Mama! You GOT THIS!

XO,

Ciera

BB77CB1A-6508-4B9E-AB2B-792A84729B70



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/2Om7mfC
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment