Monday, July 23, 2018

Teaty Biccies

I am currently feeling a bit like a Jersey Cow, hence the name ‘Teaty Biccies’!

My lactation nurse at hospital was fantastic.  She gave me a recipe for lactation biscuits that she suggested I ask a friend to make for me. Reading different things about them left me keen to try them, even if they didn’t work, cookies sounded good to me! So I did have a lovely friend bake them and, boy oh boy did they work!

The first time I had them, I was expressing so much milk that I filled my freezer, the freezer at NICU and still had enough to feed the girls. I will admit that was also having lots of skin to skin with the girls (which studies show helps milk supply). In NICU, you had to hold your baby for at least an hour at a time because of the effort it took for bubs, giving them a good rest once they were out and on you. So I was doing this twice (one baby at a time), in the morning and the afternoon – at least 4 hours a day total. With this skin to skin and the biscuits, I was making so much milk that I ended up getting mastitis (definitely another blog post) because I wasn’t expressing it all out (lesson learnt!).

When the girls came home, I wasn’t having as much skin to skin and life was even busier, so my milk supply dropped. I made a few more batches of the cookies, and each time I saw a definite increase in my milk supply. Of course in the whirlwind of early motherhood,  I have misplaced the original recipe, but I found another on the internet that I like: https://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/lactation-cookies/
After baking these a few times with some healthified changes, I think I have mastered the perfect recipe!

The last time I made them, I accidently left out the flour. I was wondering why the batch was so small! But you know the saying about mistakes being important because we learn from them? WelI I actually discovered that the biscuits are so much nicer without the flour! They are kind of like a chewy ANZAC if you do it this way. I find with the flour (I usually use a combo of coconut flour and almond flour or gluten free flour) they are a bit dry. I also have made them with a beetroot late spice (instead of the cinnamon) and these were the tastiest yet! The latest batch I tweeked a bit again, adding just a bit of flour (to help them bind better) and I am pretty pleased with the result! Not only do I find it hard to stop at one, but I have to hide them from my hubby!

Here is my adaption of the recipe:

Teaty Biccies

Makes 12 biscuits, cookies, whatever you want to call them!

Ingredients:

¼ cup wholemeal flour

½ cup organic virgin coconut oil (you may need to soften this in the microwave)

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ cup coconut sugar

2 tablespoons flaxseed meal

1 egg

2-3 tablespoons of water (depends on how moist you prefer the cookies to be)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract (optional, for flavour)

1 teaspoon cinnamon (or beetroot late spice)

1-2 tablespoons of brewers yeast

½  teaspoon salt 

2 cups oats

1 cup of your favourite biscuit ingredients (coconut, dark choc, raisins, slithered almonds, dried apricots, you get the picture)  

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 and line a tray with baking paper.

In a mixing bowl, cream the coconut oil and sugar, then add the egg and vanilla (if using). Mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed and water, let them sit for a few minutes before adding to mix.

Add the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well.

Add the flaxseed mix and dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine well.

Finally, stir in your additional ingredients (if using them).

Make the biscuits (using a tablespoon or dessert spoon) and place them onto the lined baking tray. This mix is a little sticky, but it works! 

Flatten them just a little with the spoon or  a fork.

Bake the lactation cookies for around 12-17 minutes, depending on how well cooked or crunchy you like your biscuits. 

Easy peasy!

I should mention that brewers yeast (the ingredient that really helps to get your milk pumping!) has a bit of an unusual taste; yeasty like beer, as you probably guessed! So perhaps use a little less of this ingredient in your first batch and see how you go! Let me know if you make them and what you thought. Also, always happy to hear to any delicious changes that you may have made.  

Happy milking mummas!

IMG_3903

Just can’t stop at one!!

 

Love Terri

 



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/2mAvrTh
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment