Sunday, May 10, 2020

My Favorite Lactation Recipes (And Some I Don’t Like)

As a breastfeeding mom I’m always looking for ways to maintain my milk supply. There are so many recipes provided by the internet for lactation recipes and I have given many of them a try so that I can share my favorites. As a disclaimer, these are my opinion and yours my be different. I did tweak most of these recipes and went with the quickest way I could think of because, between taking care of a wild 5 month old, cooking and cleaning, there was not a lot of time for me to make these recipes for myself. Also, I’m not a chef or a baker so this will not be a traditional recipe layout blog, I apologize.

The Bad

Let’s start with the ones I didn’t like.

Boobie bites. These were by far my least favorite. They consisted of Oatmeal, brewer’s yeast, flaxseeds, honey, and peanut butter, or almond butter but if you read my labor and delivery story you’ll know why I can’t do almond butter anymore. You mix all the ingredients together and roll them into a ball. After that you just stick them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat them. I only ate two to three of these a day, but that was more than enough for me. The texture of these just did not work for me and the taste of peanut butter was too strong. I like no baked cookies so I thought I would like these. I even tried to make them another time, adding in coconut flakes to change the taste and texture and I still didn’t care for them.
Another recipe that I did not enjoy was the Lactation Banana Smoothie. The recipes all called for oatmeal, brewers yeast, flaxseeds (the three main ingredients in all these recipes), banana, peanut butter, honey and your choice of milk. Some recipes called for cinnamon and vanilla but I opted out of those. Again the peanut butter over powered the taste for me as well as the taste of the brewer’s yeast. My husband didn’t taste it too much but it was all I could taste. Also, I love bananas but for some odd reason I don’t like them in my smoothies, unless it’s a green smoothie.

The Good

To start, I want to add that I like to use Traditional Medicinal’s organic mother’s milk tea. It’s not exactly a recipe but I felt like I should add it. I’ve been using this since my daughter turned two months and I enjoy the taste of it.
The recipe that I use the most is also the most common, lactation cookies. I can see why it’s one of the top recipe for this category. This recipe was very extensive and I do not have time to assemble all the ingredients and make these cookies according to the recipes I have found, so instead I used Betty Crocker’s oatmeal cookie mix. I followed the directions on the package but I added a tablespoon of brewer’s yeast and a tablespoon of flaxseed meal. Also, instead of chocolate chips, I added a cup of raisins. To me, oatmeal and raisin just goes together better. These taste great, I don’t taste the brewer’s yeast at all and it just taste like a normal oatmeal raisin cookie.
The last recipe I want to add is the lactation brownie. Again I use a brownie box mix and add a few different ingredients to it. I replace the oil with coconut oil and the water out for any milk of your choice. Next I add a cup of oatmeal, a tablespoon of brewer’s yeast, and a tablespoon of flaxseed meal. I follow the directions on the box for a more fudgey brownie. It’s quick and easy and taste great. The brownie hides the taste of the yeast. Honestly, the oatmeal does give it a different texture but it doesn’t bother me.

There are many more recipes out there that you can try. I also made a banana bread recipe but it took me a long time to assemble and I just needed something quick and easy to fit my schedule. If you have more time in your schedule maybe you can try other recipes and maybe even try something healthier.
I can not guarantee that these recipes work. I haven’t had a dip in my breast milk even with exercising so perhaps they helped me, but everyone is different. It’s up to you to try it out yourself and see what works for you.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/2znh7ap
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment