Saturday, May 2, 2020

What is in my breastfeeding bag?

What’s in my breastfeeding hospital bag?

I wanted to set my self up for success this time around. Last time we did not get to breastfeed until baby was 8 days old. I was super sick and had almost no milk supply and baby was in the NICU. By day 8 I was pumping 25ml at a time (total) and felt like I was slaving away at the pump, pumping for long stretches and feeling down about not being able to get hardly any milk. My nipples were all torn up from the pump and hadn’t taken anything with me to the hospital to help with that. This time I am ready if I have to pump and ready if we get to breastfeed.


In my bag this time:

1. Haakaa pump to use on one side while I nurse on the other side.

2. Medela tender care hydrogel for after nursing or pumping. I got these about a month into breastfeeding last time and so wish I had them from the start.

3. Medela SoftShells so I can keep my bra and/or shirt from touching my tinder nips in the first few days.

4. Lansinoh TheraPearl hot/cold packs. Heat will help get the milk flowing and cold can soothe soreness.

5. Dr.Browns bottles. We used the hospital bottles last time and they were ok but we want to start baby on our preferred bottle if we have to end up using bottles.

6. Medela hands free pump bra. An absolute must! Last time I ended up cutting holes in the bra I had just because my poor elbows couldn’t take holding the pump parts 8 times a day for 30 minutes at a time. That gave me the freedom to eat while pumping and with a baby in the NICU every second spent away from baby had to be used wisely.

7. Medela milk storage bags for pumped milk. If we have to do the NICU again I will use their storage bottles because that’s what works for them but if I get extra milk from the Haakaa while breastfeeding then I’ll store it frozen and flat in these bags.

8. Medela quick clean bags just so I can sanitize the pump parts in the microwave if I feel the need to. I have never used them before but wanted to take 4 of them with me just in case.

9. Honest Company Organic Nipple Cream. I’m allergic to lanolin and this brand has none in it so that’s mainly why I chose it but I do really love all the other Honest items I’ve used.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/3bYnlvS
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment