Sunday, April 5, 2015

Sculpting a Face

As strange as this may sound, one of my favorite things to do within art is to create a face. I feel like every artist has their thing, some love drawing dogs over and over or working with flowers or extreme lines or bright colors. My thing is faces.


There’s just something I love about creating a human face. Something so indescribably exciting.


I find myself at any given time staring at people, and gathering in the idea of them. Their eyes and mouth and nose, lips, freckles, cheekbones, skintone, the ears or neck or jawline. Every face is so fascinating. And while I don’t often use references in print (as in photos) for my work I do find myself referencing the people I’ve seen. From my memories. Of course, these are generally exaggerated references and stylized to my “look,” which has become apparent throughout my work.


I find it so exciting when I first see this new person peaking though, when all those dabs of paint or scratched in lines start to come alive. It’s probably the most exciting thing about painting and why I have a hard time branching out into other subjects, like plants or scenery. I just get so excited by the sparkle in their eye that makes them seem real.


Sculpting is very similar. When I choose to create a face instead of a flower pot or cookie jar I find myself unable to leave until they are done. I will keep working and working until I see them poking through that wad of clay, and I get lost in the hours. Next thing I know I’m looking at the clock and four hours have past and I look back at my hand and I’m holding a person I could only see in my head.


Below is a sculpture I worked on this Saturday. She is a character from a children’s book I’ve been working on. I guess it might be harder for others to see, because I can envision her in full color (she’ll be painted soon) and I can see her cuteness and spunk shining through and she feels almost real to me now, a way she hadn’t exactly felt before. I’ll be making more characters as soon as I can.



I’m not sure if other artists feel this way but it’s one of the things that keeps me creating. To an extent, it feels like another way of creating life. I guess it is.


IMG_7973


Until next time!


damian alexander






from crafts « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1DPvD4z

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment