Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Great Debate: Breast Feeding vs. Formula

Hello there friends!

This is an especially hot topic for me so you may hear some passion behind my words in this post. My question for you is why doesn’t the third option ever get discussed? Yes, there is a third option and it’s a breast pump. The experts all tell us that we should breast feed but they don’t give us all the options. It’s breast feed, as in your child’s mouth is latched to your breast, or else!

That’s how it felt to me when we were in the hospital and they were in the room trying to help my son latch. It was really stressful for me because he wasn’t latching but they just kept pushing it. No one said, “Let’s get you a breast pump so we can get him something to eat”. Instead it was “We’ll take him back to the nursery and get him some formula”. It wasn’t until the 2nd lactation expert came in and saw that the piece that connects your tongue to the bottom of your mouth wasn’t allowing his tongue to work correctly and latch. It’s a simple procedure to fix but the nurses still took him back to offer him formula instead of someone getting me a breast pump.

Finally, the lactation expert gets me a pump.  Now it’s too late though because they have been feeding our son 2 oz. of formula per meal. That might not mean anything to you but do you know how much he would have been getting from my breast? ONE TABLESPOON. That is normal until your breast milk comes in a couple days after delivery. So, our baby left the hospital expecting 2 oz. per feeding and I couldn’t produce that yet. THE STRESS! It was unnecessary stress as far as I’m concerned.

So, please take something away from this. Realize that there isn’t just one option for you and your family. Also, my son loves me and knows I’m his mother. They like to make it sound like you won’t create that bond if you don’t breastfeed but that’s nonsense. Pump the milk, put it in a bottle, and hold your baby. They will love you just the same.

Note: I had United Health Care at the time and they gave me a Medela pump FOR FREE through my health insurance. Get one. It’s worth it.

Shine on, Friends.

-Nicole



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1I5LK1w
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment