Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Inducing Lactation

So for most birthing moms producing milk is easy, although some moms do not produce any (or not enough).  If you are a non-birthing mom then you must induce your own milk.  This works well for adoptive moms and can also work for those who did not produce any after birth.  In my case it is working because my wife is the one giving birth this time and not myself.

For my son, I breastfed or 15 months and loved every minute of it, even when it was hard and tiresome.  Now, I am not one of those women who shame those that don’t.  I firmly believe everyone is on their own path in life and mine is obviously not yours.

That being said, I expected my body to pick right up where it left off 2.5 years later and produce milk right away.  This was my therapist would like to say is an unrealistic expectation.  I pumped for 7 weeks with no luck.  Not even a drop of liquid.  At our last doctor’s appointment for the pregnancy, my wife’s doctor prescribed me some medicine to help me out a little.  I was reluctant to try it because I wanted to be able to do this without any help at all, but after 7 weeks, I was becoming impatient.

One week on the medication (4 times a day) and continued pumping for 10-15 minutes every 3-4 hours, I have seen progress.  On my 1st day of week 8, I saw a slight drip.  The next day there was a little more.  I am hopeful that in time, I will produce a “normal” flow.

To be updated soon on the progress…….



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1PymfX3
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment