Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Delicious Breakfast Smoothie

One of the things I struggled with the most in the early days with a new baby was getting time to feed and nourish myself. At the same time, I was being bombarded with advice from everyone that nourishing myself and self-care were the most important things in the world.

The solution to this problem was answered by the trusty nutri-bullet. I asked the Husband to prep a smoothie for me in a nutri-bullet cup while he got ready for work in the morning. That way, at some point in the day all I had to do was add milk, buzz it and drink it down and as simple as that, breakfast was done. That way if I barely had a chance to eat anything else of nutritional value for the rest of the day, at least I had that.

This smoothie is delicious, easy to make and packed with superfoods for an extra nutritional boost. An added bonus is the inclusion of ingredients that are believed to stimulate milk supply. As a breastfeeding mum, supply is also something that is constantly at the forefront of your mind in the early days, so this recipe serves a dual purpose.

Ingredients:

1tsp Cacao nibs

1 heaped tsp of Maca powder

1/2 a scoop of any good quality protein powder(I use unflavoured, flavours will make the smoothie sweeter)

1/3 cup of oats

1/4 tsp of brewer’s yeast

1 banana

200mls of your prefered Milk (I use cow’s milk but you can use any milk you like)

The Cacao nibs give a delicious chocolatey flavour without being too rich and a crunch that is reminiscent of chocolate chips. The combination makes for a decadent, tasty breakfast that is perfectly filling and nutritious.

As far as helping with milk supply, I’m not a health professional and I make no promises. However, all of these ingredients are nutritious in their own right so it can’t hurt to try and I definitely have no problems with supply these days.

Enjoy!



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1WNyjqq
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment