Sunday, June 12, 2016

My Top 5 Reasons for Breastfeeding

I’ve been working on this post in my head for a while now. The reason is this: breastfeeding is an awesome tool that has a lot of misinformation around it. This misinformation is harmful in that it doesn’t give families the opportunities to make the best choices for them.  I want to emphasize something: I love breastfeeding, but I know it’s not for everyone. I’ll be writing about it from time to time, but I 100% think a fed and loved baby is best. If breastfeeding isn’t for you, don’t sweat it; I won’t!

Let’s begin!

5. Poop

Yes, you read that correctly. Exclusively breastfed poop is odorless, and water soluble.  This means it washes right out in the machine, without rinsing beforehand (cloth diaper reference). Also, breastfed babies are much less likely to be constipated, which is awesome because constipated babies cry…a lot.

4. Convenience

I make her food as she needs it! I think this is super cool and awesome, and I consider it a super power…OK, I got distracted.

For the first 4 weeks of my baby’s life, our breastfeeding relationship was uncertain (more on that later). We washed bottles and nipples, sanitized pump parts, kept track of how long formula had been in the fridge, and had to be sure to pack enough (but not too much) for every outing. Every time we left the house, I was counting the minutes and the ounces. I was super paranoid she’d run out of food, and combust into mega tears, and I’d be a horrible mama.

These days, I whip out the boob. Wherever I feel like it, and whenever she feels like it! It’s legal for a mama to breastfeed wherever it’s legal for her to be. Personally, I don’t like to feed out in the open, but it is amazing to know that I don’t need to count ounces or minutes. When we’re together, she’s fed. When we’re apart, the counting begins again.

Last but not least, breastfeeding stops my baby from crying, almost regardless of the reason.  If she’s hungry, obviously. Also, if she’s hurt (after vaccinations for example). If she’s tired, nursing to sleep is way easier than rocking and singing and bouncing. You get the idea.

3. Weight Management

My baby is literally sucking calories from my body on a daily basis. I once heard breastfeeding described as being like having a portable treadmill with you at all times. Yesss. Breastfeeding helps with the snap back in more ways than one, helping your uterus to contract quicker after birth, and burning up to 500 calories a day. Pair that with healthy eating habits (or healthy-ish because let’s be real), and you’ll be back into your non-mom jeans before you know it!

2. Cost

It’s free-99 ya’ll! Formula is expensive, and if your baby doesn’t tolerate the “normal” kind, you may need to spring for specialty brands, which cost even more. There ae some costs associated with breastfeeding, like a pump for example, but check with your insurance and/or local assistance services. Our insurance covered our pump, but if we’d have had to pay for it, it’s an investment that quickly returns. A quick google search returned a figure of over $1700 on average for one year of formula. Y’all. NO.

1. Baby’s Health

This one is the most obvious, and the one you see a lot these days. So I won’t get crazy. Basically, breastmilk does the body great! If you think cow’s milk (made for a baby cow) is good for a human adult, imagine the benefits of human’s milk (made for baby humans) for baby humans! Seriously though, breastmilk is exactly what my baby needs every single day. It’s customized for her, and no formula can say that. If it’s bedtime, she gets some sleepy hormone (melatonin). If she’s sick, I give her antibodies to fight germs and get well sooner. She’s less likely to overeat because she controls the amount every time, and some studies are correlating that to less likelihood of becoming obese a little later down the line.

 

In the end, breastfeeding is a sacrifice. It means as a mama, I have to take good care of myself. I need to eat well, take vitamins, rest, stay hydrated, and generally think twice before making decisions that affect my body. In the beginning, due to a bad latch, it was also a very painful experience.  I am so thankful to have had a supportive partner and an amazing lactation consultant who motivated me to stick it out. If you’re debating quitting (or even starting), do what’s best for you. But know that it can be an amazing experience with great benefits.

For Real,

Desiree

Sources for more info:

http://ift.tt/1BAySJU

http://ift.tt/1D5fgzb

http://ift.tt/1weAEiP

 



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1Ud2IOk
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment