Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Milk collection has moved on a bit....

There have been a few developments in the world of babies since I had my first one five years ago. Some things seem a bit gimmicky but one there is one that is already turning out to be soooooo brilliantly helpful. It saves time and effort, is easy to clean, fast to use and pretty inexpensive. All round winner I’d say!!

It’s one of these little vacuum breast pumps. There are a few on the market but I was lucky enough to be given one of the Haakaa ones – thanks Claire! This one is the same and seems to get good reviews but is cheaper.

Once you’ve got baby latched on to one boob you grab your vacuum pump and simply squeeze it and place it over your other boob. As you let go it sucks on to your boob and uses that suction to catch and draw out the excess milk that would otherwise have gotten soaked up by your breast pad. Easy as that!

I’ve been using it for most feeds during the day since my milk came in on day 2 and I’ve been saving about 3oz in it each time. Quite a good little stash.

Sitting for ages with a breast pump was one of my least favourite things when I had my first baby but it did help to boost my supply and give me a healthy freezer stash.

Second time around I abandoned the electric pump and stuck to a manual one. It was easy to use, fast and efficient and easy to clean and throw in my bag to use whenever and wherever.

This little vacuum pump is like the next generation. No pumping action required, not bits to take apart and put back together. No fuss.

It does look a bit like a small hospital urinal though. Maybe that’s a use for it once breastfeeding days are done? 😆

A word of warning. You can find some rather odd articles pop up if you type ‘vacuum breast pump’ into a search engine. ‘Breast milk pump’ seems to be safer 😀



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2gJDj52
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment