Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Favorite comments on lactation in general

“I miss being able to lactate, actually. It was a very powerful feeling.” [That’s because your breasts are yearning to be used for their original purpose. When we realize the intrinsic value of human body parts and human life in general, our joy becomes fuller and we feel more powerful.]

“Breastfeeding helps me to maintain a basic level of respect for my body. I may not like it sometimes, and I may often wish I was smaller/firmer/flatter/tighter/more pert, but knowing my body has an important purpose helps me silence those self-destructive voices that we are all victim to at times….There’s something wonderful about breastfeeding that can’t be explained, quantified or compared. The feeling that wells up in your heart when the … person … is looking you straight in the eye whilst feeding from your breast is something quite astonishing. Breastfeeding is pure love; not just the transference of nutrients and antibodies but the fostering of love and trust that will last a lifetime.”
“PERMISSION TO BE LAZY REST. Every nursing [woman] knows that when you start breastfeeding the sofa becomes your permanent residence, your best friend, your throne. You have absolutely no choice but to let others cater to your every need. Drinks made, dinner served, house cleaned, shopping bought, cushions plumped. WAISTLINE. Breastfeeding releases hormones which cause your uterus to shrink more quickly to its pre-pregnancy size. The uterus of non-breastfeeding mothers will never shrink back. It will always remain slightly enlarged (Chua S, Arulkumaran S, Lim I et al. “Influence of breastfeeding and nipple stimulation on postpartum uterine activity.” Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1994; 101:804-805). Furthermore, breastfeeding burns up to 500 calories per day (double that if you’re nursing twins). Unlike Weightwatchers, Slimming World and Jenny Craig, breastfeeding is proven to enhance your figure (Kramer, F., “Breastfeeding reduces maternal lower body fat.” J. Am Diet Assoc 1993; 93(4):429-33). What’s more, having a va-va-voom cleavage flatters your thinning waistline even more. NATURE’S SPLIFF. Breastfeeding makes you high, in a pleasant, calm, serene way. Nursing stimulates the release of the hormones oxytocin and prolactin in the mother’s body. These hormones relax the nursing mum and make her feel more nurturing toward her baby. The effect is similar to cannabis yet legal and you can do it in public. Furthermore, as the hormones are passed through the breast milk, nursing acts like a natural baby tranquilizer. Which leads us to… SLEEP. Whoever created the ‘lying down whilst breastfeeding’ position needs [an] award or something because it has preserved the sanity of many.”

“I’ve also never been a super touchy-feely person, often wanting my personal space, but now I can say that the act of breastfeeding is the one thing that has helped me cope with my new life with a baby. It reminds of how special and miraculous this whole motherhood thing is. It forces me to slow down and take it all in. It’s like this designated pause throughout the day — a welcomed break in the busyness of life…Who knew an I-need-my-space kind of person could love such an intimate affair? Becoming a mother is a process, but loving things I didn’t know I would or could, I now know, comes much more naturally than I thought.”

 

“It is my excuse to eat LOTS of Cake. I eat what I like.  When I like.  OK so this is mainly cake and the excuse is I’m breastfeeding I need the calories. Ok ok ok I probably don’t and if I do its from good healthy food not beautiful blissful toblerone cheesecake.  But hey.  I’m breastfeeding what’s your excuse?…  I take time out for cuddles…

Breastfeeding is AN ACHIEVEMENT. Something which is often overlooked and I, for one, I am amazingly proud of myself for achieving. I love breastfeeding for giving me that confidence to be proud in my ability to give what I want to give to my children.”



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2Cs1HBZ
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment