Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Breastfeeding = Power

Yeah, I said that.  Maybe not power like “I can lift a car”, but more like “I can do anything” kind of power.  Empowerment.  The cool thing is, most mothers don’t even realize this is happening.  I know I didn’t recognize it until much later, like when my kids were walking and talking and I was proudly bragging about how I had nursed my kids and that’s why they are ~healthy, beautiful, smart…(insert adjective here).

I see it with mothers I meet with or talk to everyday.  I try and make sure they know how badass they are, how powerful being a mother is and how much good they are doing.   I love hearing from a mother who tells me that she didn’t expect how dynamic she would feel.  I am not completely clear about how or why this happens.  Is it the extreme connection to your baby, which allows you to feel so in tune with everything they are doing?  Maybe.  Is it the pride you feel when you realize that your body is totally nourishing and sustaining the little human you created?  Possibly.  Could it be the “mama bear” mentality it awakens in mothers that make you feel like you will take on the Navy Seal Team if they mess with your baby?  Perhaps.

Honestly, I don’t care what it is that makes us feel this way.  I am just glad it happens.  Being a mother is hard enough, we need to take these moments of feeling like a superhero and make that an every day feeling.  Why not??  Who doesn’t want to feel like they can take on the world at any given moment?  There is nothing wrong with that.  The longer I work in this field the more I am amazed at how little support there is for mothers, and I realize how much support is really needed.  Reaching out to ask questions or just to look for validation is absolutely expected and necessary.

If you’re a seasoned mama (not that it makes a difference, just more experience), reach out to those brand new first time mamas.  And to all mamas, build your village.



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/31wWm67
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment