Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Mega Oat Chip Cookies - Serves 10+

New decade, new goals. Who’s with me? I’ll be discussing my focuses right now and I hope this helps you get motivated!

Lots of changes have occurred since my last post. My mother passed away August 2019 after a brave battle with an aggressive rare case of Mantle Cell Lymphoma (MCL). She is forever with me and especially in my son. I welcomed a healthy little boy named Dominic Brody in November which brought joy back into our lives. The best part is that he has red hair and my mother had red hair… His toothless smile lights my heart on fire.

From the moment I knew he was going to make an entrance into this world my dietitian brain was sending me signals. I knew that breastfeeding would be the best gift I could give my son. Not every mother can breastfeed and there is nothing wrong with that but luckily I found success with breastfeeding. I have been exclusively breastfeeding which has been a real challenge while being back at work full-time. I went back to work when Dominic was 6-weeks old. This is when I began to really pay attention to the types of foods I ate since I wanted to ensure that my milk production did not decrease.

Foods that promote lactation may not always work for some women but its a good idea to ensure that your diet includes them for the overall nutritional benefits. These foods are called galactagogue foods which need to be consumed in variety and daily in the diet. These foods include: flaxseeds, sweet potatoes, fennel seeds, oatmeal, almonds, garlic, dark leafy greens, and brown rice.

So to sum up… I’m focusing on being as healthy as possible with some indulgences to ensure that my nutrition is ideal to promote lactation.

These cookies are loaded with galactagogue foods. More importantly, these cookies taste amazing so they are NOT just for you but for the whole family!

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light or dark brown sugar
  • 1-1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup coconut oil (or butter)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup macadamia nuts (or whatever nut strikes your fancy)
  • OPTIONAL: To change up the sugar content you can decrease the amount of brown sugar and sub with 2-3 finely chopped medjool dates (tastes amazing)

Methodology:

  1. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients (including the chocolate chips and nuts) and mix.
  2. Add in the liquid ingredients and mix.
  3. Using a tablespoon or ice cream scooper – create little balls and place evenly spaced on parchment paper.
  4. Bake for 15 minutes or 20 minutes depending on how large your cookies are. If they do not flatten then use a fork to gently press them down.
  5. Enjoy with hot tea, milk, or even wine… I choose wine.

xxx – Sarah



from lactation « WordPress.com Tag Feed https://ift.tt/39ah3Hs
article sponsered by Northern Michigan certified lactation consulting and Mother Hubbards Country Cupboard

No comments:

Post a Comment