Wednesday, October 12, 2016

DIY Curious George Costume!

This year I decided to do a homemade costume for Braydon. As a child one of my fondest memories was having my costume made at home. I remember all the time and creativity that would go into making our costumes every year and I want to be able to give my son those same feelings and memories. I don’t think there is anything wrong with buying a costume from the store I’ve done it two years now with Braydon and they have such cool selections each year. I think there is something extra special though about making a costume at home and not being restricted by what is offered in the stores.

This year we decided to make Braydon “The Man in the Yellow Hat” from Curious George. If you’re a Netflix junkie like me then you probably already know about all the Curious George movies and specials on there, and they happen to be some of Braydon’s favorites!

The first thing I did was look on Pinterest of course and I was only able to find some pinned images that gave me some inspiration, as well as asking other moms in Facebook groups ideas on how to pull this off. I ended up using clothes that Braydon already had, a hat from the dollar store, along with various crafting supplies from my home and Michaels. I will list the specific items used below.

Items You Will Need:

  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Stapler
  • White Shirt and Pants (or light grey, the pants I used were grey)
  • Yellow Fabric Dye
  • Black Felt/Flannel Fabric
  • Extra white shirt (To make more yellow material if needed)
  • Ruler
  • Scissors (Fabric Scissors preferred)
  • Foam Hat (from the Dollar Tree)
  • Yellow Bandana (can find at craft stores)
  • Marker
  • Paper
  • Brown Boots
  • Stuffed Monkey

How I Made It:

The clothes dying process:

The first thing I did was dye a white shirt and some light grey sweat pants in fabric dye. I also tossed in an extra onesie that was too small for him and was also white, for extra yellow material. The bottle gave me instructions to dye these items in the washer, however I do my laundry at the laundromat, so I had to look the instructions up online on dying them on the stove or in your sink. In order to do this I added half a bottle of dye to a sink full of boiled water and half a cup of salt. I then stirred the mixture for about five minutes then added the clothes, constantly stirring them for about 45 minutes. I then rinsed them out until the water ran clear and hung them to dry.

Making the hat:

To make the hat I used a foam cowboy hat from the Dollar Tree, a yellow bandana, a stapler, hot glue gun, and some black felt. First I fitted the bandana around the hat as best as I could and staples it along the edges of the brim of the hat. I then Cut a strip of black felt and belted it around the hat just like what “the Man in the Yellow Hat’s” looks like. I used hot glue to adhere the felt to the hat.

Making the Tie:

This is probably the part I’m proud of the most. I think it turned out super cute! Okay so to do this I laid out a piece of paper and used a ruler and marker to draw out the shape of a tie. I then laid that paper on top of the extra onesie I had dyed and cut out the shape in the fabric. I used my hot glue gun to adhere the tie to the shirt. I then cut out black circles from felt and hot glued them to the tie.

Finishing touches:

To put the finishing touches on this costume I hot glued a black strip of felt around the waste of the pants for a belt, purchased a Curious George monkey and he will be wearing his brown rubber boots with it! Braydon was so excited when I put him in this to try it on, he would barely stay still! So here are some realistic pictures of how an excited 2 year old acts when he won’t stay still for a picture, haha!

I hope you enjoyed this DIY costume tutorial and find some useful tips for making your own homemade costume! Just remember that it doesn’t have to be perfect, its all in fun and imagination! My son knew right away what this was and if he loves it then I am happy and very proud that I could bring that happiness to him. Don’t forget to subscribe and visit often for more fun DIY’s and ongoing in our life.

 



from parenting-and-homelife « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/2dY7N0q
via Lactation news on mothersmilk4babyshealth

No comments:

Post a Comment