Tuesday, March 31, 2015

DIY Chalk Painting and DIY crafts

We’ve been having a clearout at home recently to make room for new furniture and room renovations. While my parents started to upgrade their rooms, I thought about changing my own room and adding to it through means of “upcycling”- taking an old piece of furniture and making it new.


I got my hands on our old wooden shoe rack and decided I wanted to have a go at redecorating it with chalk paint to give it that vintage distressed look.


IMG_1154


I prepped the wood by sanding it down to clean it and smooth the surfaces before painting a white base layer on it


IMG_1156


IMG_1161


IMG_1162


While I let the base layer dry, I made my own chalk paint. I used the most basic “recipe” I could find online, super budget= student friendly. Some searches recommended using plaster of paris, but I found a method which meant I could use materials I already have in the house: paint (I used pink silk) and baking powder.


IMG_1164I mixed (roughly) 2/3 paint with 1/3 baking powder. I think I could have added more baking powder to give it a more chalky appearance (noting for next time!). The paint mixes and becomes thick and fluffy with the more baking powder added.


IMG_1165


IMG_1166I painted just one layer of this on and let it dry for 24 hours. The gritty texture can then be sanded down so that the paintwork becomes smooth.


IMG_1168


To acheive the distressed look, I sanded various areas to flake the paint off.


IMG_1187


IMG_1188


IMG_1192


And volia! I now have an upcycled vintage style shoe rack for my room :).


IMG_1194


IMG_1195


I really enjoyed the creativity of this mini-project, and it was a simple and easy introduction into upcycling. As my first time experimenting with painting furniture and making chalk paint, I would note that more baking powder would have given a better paintwork, and more sanding over the paint would provide a more prominent vintage effect. But I am chuffed with the outcome and I shall be logging into Pinterest for more upcycling ideas! x


Here are four great Chalk Paint recipes: http://ift.tt/1rA72vk






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1IkDB4I

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment