Tuesday, March 31, 2015

How to organize my world

The upcoming holiday is urging me to put some organization in my home, especially in my craft world. I can’t say I’m a clean freak at home, but I do want to go into a room and feel free in terms of space and ambiance. I am trained to be organized somehow, but not to the point of organizing + putting some pieces together in an interior design kind of way.


Going back to my topic for today, I actually want to fix our other room this holiday, declutter, and hopefully create enough area for a craft space. I know a lot of us have stash upon stash of yarn, and safety eyes, and buttons, and fabric, and other materials we use in making our beloved projects. With this, I decided to make a game plan on how I will go about it, hoping that I finish within the allowable time.


Steps in organizing the room:


1. Declutter


a. Sort through my clothes and set aside those for give aways (items that have not been used for the past 2 years or so)


b. Sort through bags of things and decide if it should still be kept


AIM: to only keep those that can fit in the small space we have. Priorities! Priorities!


c. Re-arrange the big items in the room to create more space (hopefully I’d be able to come up with a nice design for this…)


d. Use the table provided by my mom as my craft work space and place craft items under and on the table in an organized manner.


Steps in organizing my craft space and projects:


As you know I make and sell stuff in Ikot Lusot Hila for the past 3 years. Since it all started from requests from friends if I can create something for them, I never thought of keeping track of all the little details (which are very IMPORTANT!!!). I visited a designer friend of mine for a design consult last Sunday, and she inspired my to create my own template for client details that includes the design, yarn used, etc. I am still in the process of finishing the template (with the help of hubby for the border and lay-out). I’ll share it with you as soon as I finish. So here’s a few steps I think will help you in organizing your projects:


1. Buy a clearbook and use a template to keep track of your crochet/knitting project details. I was able to find a very nice template at http://ift.tt/1hANNZu


She not only has crochet project organizers, but other types of organizers as well that can fit a lot of hobbies. :)


2. Keep separate clearbooks for different items/products that you make. This will help you find the patterns you need and yarns to use as well. Attaching yarn swatches to each project page is important. VERY IMPORTANT! so don’t forget this step.


3. Organize your yarns


While preparing for this holiday organization, I came across a very useful blog entry by Dedri. You can find it at this link: http://ift.tt/1xUvPif


I am super excited to work on this too! Hopefully I can fit it in. hihi!


4. Decide on plastic boxes, wine barrels, carton boxes, big pipes, hook-ons, and other types of material where you’d like to store your yarns in. There are a lot of blogs talking about this, but I’m planning to write one when I finish my organizing. :) Hopefully my experience is something that can add and help others too. By the way I am currently using plastic boxes with covers. But I still need to find something I can put in them to prevent moisture and keep my yarns smelling fresh. (I just looooooove the smell of new yarns!!!)


5. Re-cycle


In looking for containers that can be used for the little stuff, you can use unused bottles, tin cans, little baskets, pouches and the like. I think it’s important to decide if you want a see-through container or not. Just make sure you label each one properly for ease of finding them when needed.


6. Be PATIENT


I think this is the best tip I can give in organizing. It’s a lot of work all at the same time. But as always, in the end, it will all be worth it. :)


7. Maintain


Of course once you have organized your world, and created your craft space, we need to learn how to maintain it. Believe me I am also speaking to myself. I know we are all a work in progress. I salute those that are innately organized, with a touch of design, that helps bring ease to the eyes in every room of the house. I am also aiming to be like that. :)


Well this is just my thoughts for the day… I’ve been brewing over this, an accumulated hodge-podge of thoughts on what I want to create in my home. I hope this helps you, just as it has helped me absorb it more into my system by writing it down. Haha! :)


If you have your own style of organizing, or would like to suggest anything to improve my plans of organizing my world and others too, please do leave a comment.


Excited to hear from you! :)






from crafts « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1yxaaY2

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment