Wednesday, February 4, 2015

and DIY crafts

For me, the photo essay has lots of possibility. I had never done one before, but I enjoyed drafting mine tonight. There are two stages for me. The first is the idea stage, where you get to fantasize about the possibilities. The next is the part where you actually make something. For me, both stages are equally cool. Sometimes my friends and I discuss ideas we know we’ll never act upon, but we do it anyways because it’s a lot easier and just as effective. But the process of actually creating art is also easy and fun.


At first, I wanted to select 10-15 non-related images and get creative with the descriptions, ending up with a beautifully incoherent photo essay. But I reread the assignment and decided my essay should tell a story, have a focused argument, and be object-oriented. I ended up gathering pictures taken over the weekend by myself, my friends, people on Instagram, and pictures sent to me by my family, who all live in different areas but stay in touch via mobile chatroom. My focus was the idea that in the digital age, everything is documented. Last year, I missed Bonnaroo Music Festival, so I found the Twitter and Instagram hashtags and saw a tremendously active feed. I saw multiple pictures taken at the same moment of the same band. For this assignment, I decided to gather pictures and reconstruct the weekend.


This idea worked well, because last weekend was memorable for me—a friend visited from Harrisburg and we spent the whole weekend with a close group of friends. There were plenty of pictures. At first, I had trouble sending all of the pictures to my computer, so I used iCloud for the first time. This worked wonderfully. As soon as I take a picture on my phone, it pops up on my computer in iCloud Photos. You can find this in a second—type “icloud photos” into Finder or Windows’ search function. I never have to email pictures to myself one at a time again.


It wasn’t obvious to me at first that, when you are on Creatavist’s main project editing page, where you can see all of the photos on a grid, you can drag the photos to reorder them. You’ll have to rename the chapters if they are numbered, but it saves you from deleting and re-uploading to get the right order.


I used Photoshop to censor parts of a Facebook post in one of my images. I used the marquee tool to select a rectangle of what I wanted to hide, and I filled the rectangle in with the brush. You can also run the blur tool over it to blur only what is inside the selection.


I hope everyone has fun and ends up with a cool photo essay. Here is mine:


http://ift.tt/1HYD0K8






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1I0RFoa

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment