Friday, February 27, 2015

Goodbye, Ruffles

Lately I’ve been trying to live a more frugal, minimalistic life. I’ve been getting rid of stuff I don’t use, and questioning myself when I do want to introduce possessions into my life. This thinking has brought me a long way. I have saved money and space, leaving me more energy to love what I have. The frugal part of me is having a bit more trouble. What do I save? What do I try to repurpose? I’ve had a few failures with DIY upcycling, but here’s one project that I’m quite proud of.


IMG_20150225_193521

This scarf was given to me for my 16th birthday by two friends who I love dearly. I have owned it for nearly two years and I haven’t worn it once. Why?


IMG_20150225_194013 IMG_20150225_193949

It’s ruffly.


Now, ruffly may be some people’s style, but it’s definitely not mine. I have no idea how to wear ruffles. I even tried Googling around for some answers, but I came out empty handed. It’s extra unfortunate because everything else about the scarf is beautiful. I mean, look at the lovely material!


IMG_20150225_193806


And the lace. Oh! The lace!


IMG_20150225_193704 IMG_20150225_193728


It’s so sad.


So last week, when I was going through my, looking for things to get rid of, I found this scarf in my closet. My immediate thought was to donate it, but I couldn’t. The scarf meant too much to me. At the same time, I didn’t want to keep a useless item.


In the end, I gave myself an ultimatum. Find a use for it or donate it. After considering a few options, I looked closer at the ruffles, and found that they were stitched into the cloth with a bit of stretchy thread. Eureka!


IMG_20150225_194125

I started to snip away at the thread, trying my best not to ruin the beautiful gauzy, flowy material of the scarf. And… tada!


IMG_20150225_194223

The end product! Yeah, it’s pretty obvious that there used to be stitching there, but I’m sure that everything will even out eventually. And regardless of the rough tears in the cloth, I’m a hundred times more likely to wear the scarf now than I was below! Thank gosh!


Have any of you done any DIYs that you’re proud of?


xo,


Val






from crafts « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1Dxumx0

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment