Sunday, February 1, 2015

Meatballs with a Side of Memories Past and DIY crafts

Bored with nothing to do on one of my days off, I decided to go the supermarket aimlessly looking for inspiration for my next dish. The ground pork was on sale so I decided to purchase some. I picked the one that had a 1:3 fat to meat ratio or the closest one to it. With a bunch of ingredients I already had at home, I came up with these meatballs with dipping sauce 2 ways. As I am rolling the pork balls in between my palms, I am reminiscent of the time when I was 7 and my sisters and I would help my mom roll these “rice balls” aka 湯圓 to celebrate the first day of winter. We would talk about the most random things and my sisters and I would race to see who could do the most and make the most beautiful “snowball”. It’s so funny that simple times like that would make me so happy. Now, everyone is too busy with school and doing their own thing but hey, that’s life right? Anyways, when I finished making and plating them, it was one of my proudest piece of (art)work. I was even more elated to see that my sisters loved them, popping them in their mouth one by one.


Here is what you need to make some of your own (serves 2-3 people)


1/2 lb of ground pork meat

1 rib of celery, diced

5 water chestnuts, diced

1 stalk of scallion, sliced diagonally and minced

2 teaspoon of flour

A dash of salt, black pepper, soy sauce and crushed red pepper flakes (sorry I don’t have exact measurements for these, I usually just eyeball it)


1. Mix the pound of ground pork meat, celery, water chestnut, minced scallion, flour, salt, black pepper, soy sauce and crushed red pepper flakes. Make sure to knead the meat giving it more texture for when it is cooked!

2. Coat your hand with some flour. Take a small amount of the mixture and roll it into a ball in between your palms. Do this until your complete mixture is finished.

3. Heat your pan (hopefully you have a non-stick one), add oil. When the pan is hot enough, add the meatballs into the pan. Remember to flip them around to get an even browning on all surfaces. Turn off the stove once they are done. You can break one meatball apart to see if they are fully cooked if you are unsure.


IMG_6823 - Copy


Plating:


I made dipping sauce 2 ways – Sweet and Spicy (soy sauce, ketchup, siracha) and Thai Peanut Sauce (peanut butter, lime juice, fish sauce, coconut milk, garlic powder, soy sauce)


1. Take a spoonful of each sauce and put it on the plate. Then run your spoon through it in the direction you want the sauce to go.

2. Place the meatballs on your plate.

3. Add the diagonally sliced scallions on top of each meatball

4. Finito!


Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset


P.S. The meat mixture can be easily made into a patty to make a burger or add some pasta sauce and pasta to the meatballs and you have yourself some meatball and pasta! Ground pork used 3 ways? LOVE IT!!!

P.S.S. Great for if you are a broke college kid living off campus like I was 2 years ago! Hahahs?






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1HDFtcO

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment