Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Wardrobe Roulette #1 {Salme Patterns mesh playsuit} and DIY crafts

The first of my 12 Wardrobe Roulette items is completed! In record time, I might add. I was a tad excited to get it done, and the anticipation of fabric arriving always make the urgency so much more intense. Weird.


The garment that you awesome peeps picked is this playsuit:


salme patterns playsuit


Or romper, if you’re outside good old Australia


I picked a cotton/silk blend and a cotton poplin lining for the shorts. The bodice and pocket lining used the cotton/silk blend as lining with this sweet mesh-ish stuff as the feature fabric, which I purchased from Darn Cheap Fabrics:


mesh bodice fabric


Guys, this pattern is actually comes together really easily. Well, mostly, but more on that later. I think you could actually complete this in a weekend as it’s mostly straight-forward stitching…until you get to the pockets..


In hindsight, the cotton/silk is probably a bit too fragile for use on shorts, but the poplin definitely improved the stability. I cut the front and back bodice pieces out in the silk and the mesh, and the rest out of the silk and the poplin. There was one piece of the pocket that I also cut out in the mesh.


Ah these pockets. Look, it’s been fairly well documented that they are a tad challenging, and I admit that I spent a scary amount of time trying to figure out the 4 pocket pieces. Luckily I made a toile of the shorts so that I had it sorted before I used the fashion fabric. The toile also allowed me some time to think over the garment construction. I wanted to use the mesh somewhere on the bottom part of the playsuit to make the garment a bit more cohesive, and after making the mock-up I decided to make the pocket lining from the mesh.


salme playsuit pocket detail_Things That Shine Lifestyle


The bodice was very straightforward, which makes me love kimono sleeves so much more. Once completed, I hand sewed the press studs onto the bodice. I used 5 press studs instead of the intended 3 due to busty-ness. In hindsight I should have used a more robust fabric for press studs as the cotton silk and mesh is very light. You can also kind of see where I sewed the press studs which is totally fine, except it’s not fine for my OCD. Moving on.


salme playsuit bodice waist detail_Things That Shine Lifestyle


When hemming the shorts, I ended up rolling the bottom edge up twice and created a cuff. Much better on my short legs! I think the legs look a little bit firm but I’m blaming A) bad lighting or B) Christmas binges. They don’t feel tight at all, though. It’s actually really comfy. After a bit of hand finishing, like tacking the neck facings to seam allowances and the press studs, it was DONE!


salme playsuit full length_Things That Shine Lifestyle 1


Tada!


salme playsuit pop art clutch_Things That Shine Lifestyle 1


With my new favourite New Look clutch (of course it’s now on sale for Aussie $7.50. You’re welcome)


salme playsuit helper_Things That Shine Lifestyle


Little helper


And with my all-time favourite shoes EVER (Maison Martin Margiela for H&M – you can find them on eBay or here). If you can find them, buy them. Best ever.


salme playsuit closing_Things That Shine Lifestyle 1


Aaaand finally, with the least helpful helper ever. He’s going to take a good selfie one day if he keeps that posing up.


All in all, a success. This playsuit will fit into my wardrobe perfectly and it really appeals to my sports luxe love. Wardrobe Roulette #1 done! Keep an eye out for the next Wardrobe Roulette post on the blog or on my Facebook page: you get to choose which garment I make next!


What about you guys? Anyone else made this playsuit?


Jenelle xx






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/15IMM1o

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment