Friday, January 30, 2015

Copper and feathers....and bleach.

This Tuesday’s crafty adventures were a mixture of success and failure. We were a little pressed for time as a crafty excursion to my “secret” charity shop took up the morning. I managed to pick up a few things to use on the crafty journey, some coloured rubbery embroidery hoops, that I haven’t seen anywhere else than in this little treasury, a plaster casting kit that I WILL find a use for and some other bits and bobs.


Now onto the crafty stuff.


IMG_3254


I started off with a big bleach dying project. As it was a dry day, I laid the half sheet on the concrete outside and arranged the feathers. I then liberally sprayed the sheet with a 2:1 water bleach solution. It takes some time for the full effect to develop so I suggest waiting for it to fully dry before gauging the result. You can buy specific bleach deactivators if you are trying to achieve a particular effect, but I like the unpredictability of it all.


Unfortunately, I didn’t achieve quite the effect that I wanted, but never the less the results were pleasing. I experimented further by spraying the fabric with a copper paint solution. The solution was made up of water, copper acrylic paint and a fabric medium. The fabric medium ( I used crafters acrylic fabric medium by deco art) transforms any acrylic paint into fabric paint. The paint did not mix well with the water, so rather than a fine mist of copper spray, there were several large splats. This actually produced a better effect than I intended.


IMG_0028


While I was outside with my spray bottle, Clare and Katie were doing this…….


IMG_0022


IMG_0006


The effect was achieved by drawing with neat bleach using a dowel. Once dry They set to decorating them with various acrylic paints. The paint could be used without the addition of the fabric medium as the finished article will not be washed.


IMG_0018


IMG_0020


Clare decided that hers looked like an alien and the only thing missing was eyes. Katie found it amusing when I said ” I have some googly eyes here” – if you have children of a certain age, you will understand.


Katie’s work reminded me of the patterns that can be found on kimonos. In all I think that both ladies work were a great success.


I attempted some small bleach work myself by applying bleach through a stencil. I had varying degrees of success.


IMG_0001


Applying neat bleach with a brush results in a blob. I found the most attractive result is obtained using a bleach soaked rag and dabbing over the stencil. I decided to give up on that and do some bleach painting.


IMG_0023


I have yet to embellish this but I think I will embroider it instead of using paint.


The copper paint that I bought for the project has lead to a ‘paint all the things copper’ addiction. Not wanting my stencil ( free with a magazine ) to go to waste, I created some feather wall art.


IMG_0011


IMG_0012


The best way I found to apply the paint to this was by dabbing it on with a small art sponge. Less is defiantly more here as too much paint will bleed out of the side of the stencil and you won’t get a clear print.


Next, it was the picture frames turn. I picked up a set of untreated wood frames in the crafty charity shop, which were ideal for a copper makeover.


IMG_0019


I also painted some small Wooden beads ( again from the crafty charity shop) copper and neon. The neon ones will need a few more coats but I do love them. I was going to make a necklace from them but instead I have decided to add them to my Allison Sadler inspired dream catcher – but that’s a project for another day!


There won’t be any time for craftiness next Tuesday as Clare ( (read her blog here) and I are helping out at the Gift Emporium. I will be sure to take lots of photos of all the lovely items made by the talented makers of Norfolk. The shop stocks Clare’s cross stitch and paper craft cards and my eclectic mix of knitting needle bangles, felt flowers and knitted items.


IMG_2176


Tuesday night is ‘ Stitch and Bitch’ at Biddys Tea Room. We have been going some years now and it has a lovely atmosphere.


Wednesday is ‘Stitch and Bitch’ at The Coffee Corner . This is a group that I have recently organised on the first Wednesday of every month. It is a daytime group and runs 10-12. All are welcome, but it’s a small space, so be prepared to get cosy! There are a lovely selection of cakes and hot snacks, accompanied buy tea pigs tea and speciality coffee. They even serve soya milk, which is always a bonus for me.


IMG_2821


There may even be time after for some Tuesday crafting on a Wednesday. I have lots of ideas in this crafty head of mine XxXx






from crafts « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/1Bz5jpN

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment