Sunday, February 1, 2015

Affordable decorating and DIY crafts

I have always been a big believer in affordable design and decoration – the ability to create beautiful spaces on budget. It seems cruel to limit the beauty a space can have or the desire people have to improve their homes to how much money they have.


That’s why I was pleasantly surprised when I flicked through the Kmart catalogue that arrived in the mail today. Not only was i impressed with the beautiful and on-trend furniture and homewares pieces they stocked but they were all an affordable price. For me, I find it infuriating spending a ridiculous amount on money on chair or a bed set- I can’t justify it.


As I turned each page in the catalogue my excitement didn’t falter or fade away at all, each page was better than the last with more great finds with a cheap price tag. I was so impressed with the layout of each page and how it seemed to run with a theme as well as the styling of the spaces.


I was so immersed in the entire moment that I had to get more so i went onto their website and continued looking through all their homewares- and not only did they have more great things but they were organised into handy groups and ‘shop by look’ areas in which you could choose: natural, urban, urban colour pop, classic or opulent.


Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 12.12.28 pm


With my everyday life being so consumed with design, decoration, colour and textures in furniture and textiles- just basically being an interior design freak, it is such a refreshing change to see companies making interior design approachable and affordable. When I first trying to learn more about interior design I often found times when I would get snobby people who acted superior and focused on the cost of a piece.


42103400-qv-1 41694572-qv-1


I truly believe that it is not the cost of a piece that makes good design but what you do with it- I love finding knick knacks and surprises in the most unusual places. I love going into thrift and opportunity shops and reusing and recycling things others have used- it creates a story and a history to add to spaces. Using unique pieces makes the space quirky, gives it character and makes it more interesting.


I will never want to create spaces that feel lifeless, clinical and dull. Give me stripes, spots and bold colours until I die!


xx






from diy « WordPress.com Tag Feed http://ift.tt/15Zz5eP

from jammco.us and http://ift.tt/1COg4GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment